Where should I put graphs in the thesis?

D

I guess this may be a simple question but in my first validation methods/results chapter (ch 3) I have 60 graphs to include which seems too many to try and incorporate into the text of the chapter. I was adding them into a 'figures' section prior to the appendices. For my next three methods/results chapters (ch 4, 5 and 6) I have just 8 graphs per chapter so could add these into the text. Should I have ch 3 graphs in a figures section and graphs for ch 4, 5 and 6 in the chapters or should all graphs go into the figures section for consistency?

I am trying to finish my thesis and this is becoming a major worry of where to fit it all in!!!

D

Hi!
First of all don't stress out about that! Breath in, breath out!

I would go for consistency throughout the thesis. According to my personal preferences, I would incorporate figures in the text, I think it is too much of a pain going back and forth.

Good luck! Just keep going...

B

It's better to see the graphs in the text then in the appendix but 60 is way too much. Can't you chose the most significant 5 to 10 graphs to put into the text and the rest in the appendix? For the other chapters you can use the graphs in the text.

D

Thank you Dr Jeckyll, I think your point is very valid about flicking through to the appendices to see the graphs, much easier in the text. Blue also has a good idea with the key graphs in the text and the remainder in the appendices as the number of them is too large.

For ch 3, I think I may have key graphs in the text but the remainder in the appendices (in order for ease). That way I can add the graphs for ch 4, 5 and 6 in the text. Therefore some consistency is acheived across the chapters. I also have tables in all chapters so added to 60 graphs is an illustration overload in ch 2!

I am finding the graph annotation, numbering and insertion a tedious job and just want to get it right first time. I don't relish having to go back and redo this part. I am getting so near to finalising the thesis but still lots to do......ok relaxing now :-)