Where to look for post-PhD academic jobs?

D

Hey guys,

I'm tentatively beginning the job hunt and have signed up to jobs.ac.uk for weekly job alerts and wondered if there was anywhere else I should be looking?

Any advice would be welcome! Thank you!

:-)

======= Date Modified 09 Mar 2010 14:58:31 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
I think the mods would suggest the site you mention. They would recommend findapostdoc.com :-)

I regularly trawl individual uni vacancy pages, because sometimes they have stuff they don't put up on the general job sites, they also have stuff that you wouldn't necessarily search for but may be related. Also search your discipline's job areas e.g. mine is the british psychological society - so I search there all the time.

D

Thanks sneaks - I'm looking more for a lectureship if I can rather than a research post. I belong to the BPS too so will have a look there - thank you!

I think to be honest that any job I will get will be through someone I know, or someone my supervisor knows so its worth 'putting it out there' that you are looking. However, I am pretty much convinced that there will be nothing for me this year so am looking for jobs locally that can help pay the mortgage.

H

The Times Higher Education website is quite good, as is the Guardian website, although they take a bit more trawling through than jobs.ac.uk. Check whether your own university has a vacancies alert type thing that you can sign up to. For Oxbridge jobs google 'Oxford Gazette' - can't remember what the Cambridge equivalent is off the top of my head, but they list more appointments on there than they generally advertise elsewhere.

also make sure you are subscribed to any listserv/other mailing or discussion lists in your field as sometimes people circulate job adverts through those. If you are thinking about postdocs (as opposed to strictly lecturing posts), try googling 'academic jobs wiki', it is a good resource for current humanities and social science postdocs (although focuses more on US jobs).

Hope this helps (and that it doesn't get moderated into oblivion)

H

One other thing, make sure your head of department and as many other people as possible know you are looking for a job so that you are first in line for any casual teaching that they might be able to offer - it can take a while to find a first job so being able to piece together shorter contracts is important and most departments have to buy in some lecturing/demonstrating throughout the year.

D

Thank you for your suggestions! Will start looking!