who's on panel: to ask or not to ask

I have another lecturer job interview approaching, but this time the names of panel members who will be interviewing me weren't included on the invitation letter. Before my last interview at another institution, I was given the names of the interviewers without having to ask, and this gave me the chance to look them up and find out what similarities we have in research topics, approaches etc. Do you think it would be ok to contact HR and ask for this info, or would it sound rude? One voice in my head says this is unnecessary and knowing who they are shouldn't make any difference, but the other says it can be quite useful. Hmmmm...

D

======= Date Modified 21 Jun 2011 00:13:19 =======
I was speaking to a candidate at an interview and they said they had phoned up HR so knew who was on the panel. It had never occurred to me that you could do this. I just looked up the names of the people whose research interests matched the project on offer! So I would do it as it could be very useful to know who will be interviewing you and what their research interests are!

Congrats on the interview - that's great news! :p

Thank you Doodles :-)

R

Good luck with the interview when it happens! (up)

E

Quote From 404:

I have another lecturer job interview approaching, but this time the names of panel members who will be interviewing me weren't included on the invitation letter. Before my last interview at another institution, I was given the names of the interviewers without having to ask, and this gave me the chance to look them up and find out what similarities we have in research topics, approaches etc. Do you think it would be ok to contact HR and ask for this info, or would it sound rude? One voice in my head says this is unnecessary and knowing who they are shouldn't make any difference, but the other says it can be quite useful. Hmmmm...

I don't think that knowing the interview panel will make much difference. Though sometimes it may be beneficial. But calling the HR and asking, does not sounds a good idea. It might happen that the HR will report to the interviewer and then it would create a bad impression on them. So go ahead and don't worry. Have confidence on yourself and then you can crack the interview.

D

======= Date Modified 21 Jun 2011 00:14:19 =======
The person who called HR before the interview actually got the job so I think it depends on your interview performance and how you come across. This person was very poised and was top of the list so they got the job.

P

My personal preference would be to phone and ask. I doubt that the person in HR will mention anything to the people on the panel, and it is the norm for applicants to know who is on the panel - so I see no harm in asking when this information was not supplied. Of course, thats just my own opinion & what I would do. Good luck either way (up)

Thank you so much for the replies. I was still in two minds, so haven't asked them about the panel members. But in the meantime received an offer for the other job. Hmmmm. I'm very happy and confused at the same time :-)

D

Congrats on the job offer - it's good to hear some positive news! At least you can relax at the other interview now that you know you have one job offer! :p

Thank you very much for good words Doodles. I will attend this other interview too, as I think not going would be a great opportunity to be missed. But you're right. It's such a relief; I look forward to being employed again. How is your post-viva action plan going? All good I hope?

S

I think it's fine to ask. I would just approach it by saying something along the lines of "In my experience, it is fairly standard procedure to know the names of the panel interviewing you, so, obviously unless you have different proceduces, I was wondering if it would be possible to get the names of the members of my panel."

A suitably watered-down, indirect and undemanding request - the classic British way.

A

Congrats on the job offer, they got back to you very quickley - great news for you :-)

D

Yeah I agree it's great to be employed again especially in academia! I'm not at that stage unfortunately as I'm still looking and hoping someone will employ me as I'd love do more research but there doesn't seem to be much available in my field! I've even tried to be creative and apply for things in related fields and temporary teaching positions but it's all very competitive!

Good luck for your other interview! Hope you get that too so you can choose! 8-)(up)