wht r they lookin fr??

K

im a Post grad in Human Genetics frm india,with a sensible academic scores,
1.I wish to knw if i want to switch frm human genetics to developmental biology for my PhD application& i manage to prepare a sensible research Proposal wht be my chance of bein taken up
2.Also does a sensible post grad from india holds the same status as from some other part of the globe.

M

Just a quick piece of advice first - try not to use the text message language as it can annoy some people on here.

The answers...

1. I would expect that you'd be ok, although you could check with potential supervisors first. Seeing as there aren't many, degrees in developmental biology around, I would expect most PhD student in this field to have some other background. While a degree in physiology, anatomy, or other similar biomedical science field might be more appropriate, you probaboyl have the necessary lab skills and understanding to be able to switch. But probably best to check to make sure.

2. I don't know about this for certain, but I would hope and expect that, in the UK, the country of origin of a post grad is irrelevant when it comes to status. As long you you can communicate effectively in English, you shouldn't be treated any differently to any other post grad - in fact, many departments have a large percentage of students from other parts of the globe.

S

In answer to your first question I don't think you would have too many problems. I did a degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology, worked for a year in a molecular/microbiology lab then started a PhD in Developmental Biology. About half of my final year modules were in developmental biology however so I not sure how I would have got on if I hadn't taken those courses.

Did you do any development modules in your degree?

H

In answer to the second question, it would definately make no difference if you were funding yourself. However if you are looking for funding, it would be more difficult as a non-EU student.

K

If you wish to switch over you can but ultimately it is not going to make much difference as there is no development without genes. got my point.
I really don't know what kind of problem in developmental biology you want to follow. Hope you are not planning to work in cellular aspects. But you can take anything related to developmental molecular biology or developmental genetics.
More or less it hardly matters as most of the positions in biomedical sciences are open to wide range of subjects.
And a Masters from India is great. But when you are competing for the scholarships there are restrictions to nationality and in that case you can't help. Apply for the international scholarships.