Why academia isn't so terrible after all...

C

I thought this opinion piece arguing the positives of an academic career might provide provide inspiration to those wishing to pursue an academic career despite some of the difficulties of early stage academics (during the PhD and post doc period).

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=401968&c=1

J

Thanks!

R

That was nice to read! He is so right about some of the points - freedom is a big thing... I know a girl who left academia to get a 'real-world job' and she thought she would like the structure of having a 9-5 - but she couldn't get used to it and has now come back!

When I think about some of the jobs I've had... people CONSTANTLY looking over your shoulder, being told off if you are one minute late back from your break... I think I would crack up if I had to go back to that!!!

S

The freedom and lack of routine are very important to me. The sense of community in shared interests that he talks about sounds very attractive - but I haven't experienced that so far.

S

Thanks for that commonsense. It's good to be reminded of the positives of academia every now and then.

M

* Jouri Djorkaeff von der Leiden 23 May, 2008

I am tempted to disagree with the author. Whereas no new arguments are presented, the previous stereotypes of "freedom, independence" etc. are merely reiterated. Times have changed. The professors at the top of the academic pyramid might not have noticed yet, but today, the academic environment has nothing to offer to PhD graduates. Rather the opposite, the nature of academia fosters loss of work-life balance as "there is always more work to do or one more paper to read at the weekend". Finally, I wish this article was more critical and would also consider the perspective of PhD students, teaching assistants and young lecturers. Saying that the "grass is always greener on the other side" is just not sufficient.

A reader's response (not mine!) but s/he is spot on. The article is wishy washy imo. Still, Tim's got a cushy number so fair play to him.

B

This is so disingenious it is funny!

Um, most of my GP friends do not find their work "well paid tedium" but are very happy to help a huge number of people every day. I daresay they make a greater contribution to society than Tim Birkhead.

Also I wonder what sort of university it is that he works at where they are able to reject business mode? And an academic job WITHOUT some grind is unbelievable. Who does his fact checking, editing and proofreading? Also I laugh at the idea of academics "pursuing truth" when there is a multiplicity of realities and possible truths to negotiate.

However, if that genuinely is his job, then I would love it. Shame it doesnt resemble mine.

R

Huh... that sounds a lot like our jouri!?!?!?

J

I admit it. The name was the hint toward my identity on this forum...

C

Great name!

M

Well I just read the article (albeit after a few glasses of wine), but... what a load of bollox.

'Freedom' is an academic's main incentive - crap. 'Ego' is more likely to be an academic's main incentive. How can someone have 'freedom' when they are pulling 50/70 hr weeks juggling research (within the restrictive boundaries of the RAE - which is stifling 'integrity/the truth' in favour of 'quantity'), teaching, and acting as counsellor/advisor to students. And where does the 'freedom' exist when many academics are forced to undertake private sector work to supplement their pay? hmmm.

Is this guy basing his experience on his personal diaries, circa 1975??

S

After 12 years in the business sector it does feel to me as though there is a lot more freedom. There are constraints: I can only do what I can get funding for. But that doesn't seem too strange to me. Most professions have a lot of negative issues - manyof them are the same issues: work life balance, politics, favouritism, comercial pressure and parts that are just plain boring. I don't think academia is the best or the worst.

B

But Smildon, you've come from a place where there was no freedom (business) to having some freedom (current academia), so of course its going to feel more free for you.

However, those of us who have an idea of what it used to be like knows how much freedom has been lost. And to what gain? Our research has not gotten further, or we aren't more respected etc etc. In fact we have MORE undergrads to teach but fewer resources comparatively. We have lost a lot of freedom and gained very little if anything in return.

M

I think most of us would agree Tim's just talking a load of sh!t.

C

Matt and BHC are terminal whingers and would complain whatever profession they were in. Hopeless cases.