why such rudeness in paper rejection?

O

I had a horrible experience at a symposium once, where in the toilet, of all places, I was rudely confronted by the supposed expert on some minor point in my presentation as being wrong. I was so upset it ruined the rest of the day for me, I had an upset stomach and felt like crying, only to get home and check the point...it was on what some law required, and I was right, she was wrong...

This just points out the EGO that floats about in academia...but it needn't always be the case, at this same symposium there was another well respected academic who was very humble and polite and encouraging to newbies like me.

O

That experience was an eye-opener. Never let ego substitute for being informed and well grounded in what you are doing. Ego is no substitute for accuracy. I have seen these academics at other conferences, and invariably the ones with the biggest egos seem to be the least informed. Asking a polite question--(Me)"Give the passage of xyz, or the decision by xyz international court--what is your position?" Inevitable blank stare, response, "never heard of it"...well, you WOULD have if you kept up with the developments in the field!!!!!!!!!

O

Consequently, it was a rude awakening that the people who are held out as experts may not know as much as they should (an Emperor's new clothes thing going on?) and that I should have confidence in my own judgment and abilities-careful as I am to be thoroughly read, well sourced, etc.

If you think you have a good paper, carry on. You might have just had the misfortune to have a reviewer that had the temperment of the toilet confronter, and whose statements are worthless and wrong.

S

Agree with Olivia - It's always worth amending and resubmitting elsewhere if you think you have a decent paper. Also - I have been told of some incredibly rude anonymous comments on papers - and papers by very well-respected academics. It happens to the best of people although it is surely very unprofessional

R

I would like to thank everyone who posted such positive responses to my post, you have restored my faith in academics. We all need to battle on in the face of resistance and criticism, thank heaven for this forum it has helped me through many a dark hour.