Why?

H

======= Date Modified 21 Jan 2011 12:24:56 =======
because...

... I don't like the industrial working environment and prefer to work in the university
... I used to work in a university previously and my employer (the university) asked me to continue my studies (master and phd degree)
... to get better position and salary
... to be a permanent staff in the university (phd is one of the requirements)
... so that I'll be able to teach my future students confidently and answer their questions well
... so that I'll be able to guide my future students to conduct their researches & so that I most probably won't destroy their lives- hahahaha
... wanted to create/ develop something... thought I could learn the skill to do so through phd.... but...
... during my undergrad, most of my syllabus were based on theory only... not much practical works had been done although I'm in engineering... so thought I could improve my practical/ hands on knowledge by doing phd... but phd is really difficult...
... I always wanted to go abroad to study... but was unable to do so during master and undergrad... I got the offer to do Phd in a foreign country... so I grabbed the chance...

L

I guess I'm doing a phd because I went to university and loved it, and so far I still don't want to leave this sort of environment. It's really exciting when I think that I'm studying things that no one else has looked at yet, and although I'm not sure if I'm exactly where I want to be, the whole area of research I'm in is absolutely fascinating and so relevant (alternative energy type stuff).

I suppose I do want to at least have a good attempt at being a lecturer. I know it's horribly competitive, but I won't get anywhere if I don't try. :)

L

Excellent thread.

I'm starting a PhD in September. I'm doing it for me and because I've found some areas and issues that I want to explore and write about in depth, and the PhD provides an structure and framework in which to do this.

I'm a mature student (and I won't say how mature!), currently writing my Masters dissertation on part-time basis alongside my day job. I'll also be doing my PhD part-time and will be self-funded. So it will take me at least 6 years and my research relates to and is based on real contemporary experience in my professional networks and also links to my personal academic interests.

:-)

P

Like some of the others, I am a 'mature' student who was offered funding to complete a phd and as there was nothing better to do I took up the offer. However I am really looking forward to finishing it and the sense of acheivement (I hope) I get.

C

I asked this question once in grad school to an office full of around 7 PhD students. Their answer was a pretty unanimous "because I want to be called a Dr". Pathetic really. This is clearly an example of the moral decline of society.

J

Hi!
I think I do it because I like it. Yes, it can be tough sometimes but its so much fun too. When u discover sth nobody else knows before doesnt it make u feel its worth the hard work, long nights, weekends u spent into it? Well i guess its obvious that i am really interested in my phd subject. i want to contribute to the knowledge in the field (i know this sounds like such a cliche but its true :p) and yes i believe that this knowledge can ameliorate the life of people sometime, but ok at the moment its more at a basic science what i do. Saying all this it doesnt mean that i dont have bad days when i really start wondering why i do this. u know days when everything goes wrong and ur really precious sample that u ve been preparing for weeks doesnt work :-s and u just feel really bad and depressed and all this. but then its this little result that seems to agree with ur initial hypothesis and u start believing again and this can keep u motivated and excited for quite a lot of time...and after all yes my phd is my job but its not just that, its a way of living, thinking too. not coz i am workaholic but coz i enjoy it this way...