Why?

D

======= Date Modified 12 Mar 2012 19:46:00 =======
Why would an academic want to see my thesis when it is not in an area of interest to them? This academic is aware of my interests and we have a common interest (but it's not the topic of my thesis).

Any thoughts? They're being very vague...

A

first instinct is that they have something up their sleeve and want to see your thesis to get a feel for your writing before they make you an offer (hopefully that you can't refuse!). However, being honest it could be just purely out of interest or politeness - ie you told them you had finished and they said they would like to see it. It's hard to know but it's curious all the same. Are you going to send it to them?

D

Hi Ady,

I already have. Yes, I thought they might be being polite but they seemed very keen to see it...

I'm also hoping they have something up their sleeve!

D

That all sounds very intriguing! I would have thought that either the research you have conducted is of interest to them for their own future projects or that they may like to collaborate with you on something. Guess only time will tell. In the meantime, take pride in the fact that someone has requested a copy of your thesis as that suggests peer respect (highly commended). Sadly, mine will probably never get read and will serve as a suitable door stop :$:$:$

D

Thanks Dunni73. To be honest, I'd rather bury the thesis as it's not what I want to be known for and I think I've produced better work on other projects) but I do hope something productive comes from this:p

L

Whatever the exact reason, it definitely sounds promising. I doubt anyone would read a thesis unless they had a good reason to do so. Maybe he would like to collaborate with you in the future and is seeing if your style seems compatible with his. Or, yes, maybe he wants to see what you are capable of. And even if you know you're capable of more, to have passed your thesis is probably a good read to anyone who isn't sick to death of the topic. :p

D

Thanks Lughna. I can only keep my fingers crossed!

D

How long should I give this person before contacting them? I do know they're extremely busy.

L

I hate waiting for people to come back to me! So I would be just as keen to get feedback/input! However, a thesis is a substantial read and I don't know whether you should chase someone who has asked you for a non-descript, vague reason. I am aware you are job seeking like crazy at the moment so understandably you're going to be keen to find out why they wanted to read it in the first place!

Probably give it a month... I know that seems like ages but if they've asked you for employment purposes they will come back to you before then. If they haven't, then I would drop them an email asking them whether they'd had time to review it and what their thoughts were. I completely, totally understand your anxiety though. Fingers crossed it's something good...! (up)

D

Thanks Lindalou83. I can only hope!