Will Cambridge accept an application for a ScD from a person who has a PhD from a foreign university?

D

I'm currently an undergrad in bioengineering, and I'm thinking about the long-term. After say, 20 years and publishing high quality work that makes a significant contribution in high quality journals, I'm going to decide to apply to Cambridge for a committee to review my work and decide to grant me a ScD. I plan on getting my PhD from MIT. I've heard Cambridge and MIT have a partnership. Will they let me apply for the higher doctorate?

PS If they do grant me the degree, after seven years, will I get a MS?

M

do you know the dates and journals in which you are going to publish your high quality work that makes a significant contribution? I'd like to note them in my diary

H

20 years time...............???????

G

I didn't even initially think it merited a reply as it was likely a pi**take.

T

A few comments:

1. Why do you require a ScD? It is largely an honourary degree, so I don't know if it is so important that you should base the next 20-odd years of your life around it?

2. You shouldn't really plan to get a PhD - it's not a given, and if you've read some of the posts on here it could be a potential stumbling block. it's not easy, so maybe don't take it for granted that it will happen.

3. There is the Cambridge-MIT Institute (www.cmi.cam.ac.uk) though much of their work is based on technology transfer, so not sure how much of the bioengineering field they cover. I don't think to apply for a ScD it matters where your PhD is from, it's your original contribution to research that counts.

4. Why the focus on collecting letters after your name? I would concentrate more on getting that good body of research behind me, rather than having an impressive-looking business card.

And here ends my lecture.

A

thecoastman has said it all. I completely agree so better listen to what he said before you was a life (the only one you have by the way)

A

correction: waste, not was

T

Hey lets not get all formal, just coastman is fine

A

Maybe I could get some adivice: will the University of Ibiza let me have 4 labs and 15 research assistants in 24 years time when I have a PhD, maybe from Cambridge, Stamford or Yale. In this time I will have completed 29 research papers, 17 of which are in Nature, 8 in Cell. I wil however have a child, Amy, with shoulder length dark hair and aged 3 years 4 months. My wife will be pregnant again though, will that hamper my chances?

A

idiot

A

LOL

S

Sorry - Cambridge is set to be bought out by Belford in 15 years time