Will I get Scholarship

A

Hi Guys,
            I am from India. I have completed my Msc., Medical Bionanotechnology. I am now in pursuit of doing PhD abroad. But I have only a 60% in my school grades (both SSLC and HSC), Bsc and in my Msc i have 74%. And my IELTS score is 6.5 over all. Will I be able to get Scholarship to study in UK as an international student. Kindly guide me...

C

The simple answer is.... not easily, but there's no definitive criteria which is applied across all PhD courses. Many universities provide funding/part-funding (via scholarships) for international students but they have autonomy over their admissions process and whether they offer you funding will depend on many factors (some of which you are unable to establish in advance) specific to each university and which may vary from one year to the next.

As a general guide:
1) Such funding is highly competitive and your academic record will be a significant factor in determining whether you are successful. You don't say what classification you achieved in your BSc but, if it's the UK equivalent of 70+%, it's a first and that will help. Again, if your Masters is the UK equivalent of 70+% then that's the equivalent of a 'with distinction' for most Masters programmes and that will also help. Your school results are not significant if you have good HE qualifications.
2) Only the very best international students receive all their PhD fees plus a maintenance payment. You would need exceptional qualifications plus an outstanding PhD proposal to achieve such an offer. You will have a higher chance of receiving partial funding.

In the first instance, identify potential supervisors at universities which offer international student PhD funding in your subject area (all universities provide profiles of their faculty on their websites and have sections which detail what kind of funding is available and to which types of students). Academics will be able to offer specific advice on applications to their particular university - and also on the specific research areas which are more likely to receive funding in their institution. Nothing beats personal contact with potential supervisors. If they like you and your prosposed research then it will help your application.

Also check out this link for more guidance on funding:
http://www.findaphd.com/student/funding/funding-1.asp

Good luck.

A

Thank you so much for your guidance caramel. Between I had consulted an education consultancy in india, they say that they ll get me an admission for MRes programme with scholarship once again there is no assurance for full scholarship. But full assurance for the admission. And they suggest me to join in this programme first then look for PhD as I do the course. I would like to whether this course is reliable and will it help me to join PhD at UK or some other country after finishing this course. Kindly reply me.....