Worried about supervisor

P

I was just wondering how much it is the responsibility of the student to know when to do things or what should be done by a certain time. I have been looking at my student handbook regarding literature review, first research panel etc etc and I am a bit unsure what is needed for these sort of things. Should my supervisor be helping me with this? Also I am a bit worried that she doesn't make any notes when we meet. I usually make a few notes but it doesn't seem very official. I am only a couple of months into my PhD. She is not an academic and hasn't supervised before. My 'proper' supervisor is back next year from research leave but I am worried I am not getting all the support I need but I'm not sure what things I might be missing!

V

Basically it is completely up to you when and what you complete, except for deadlines set by the deparment (e.g. for 1st year report). Your supervisor may or may not set you goals and deadlines but it is not definely her job. Regarding notes- my supervisor never ever has made any notes in supervisions. Why should he?
I would suggest- be proactive-decide what you want to do, by when, ask actively feedback from your supervisor.

R

I found during my PhD that it was my responsibility to sort out my research. It is not the same as undertaking a taught course, your supervisor is there to advise. I asked him to give me deadlines because that's how I work best. He also looked over drafts of chapters and advised me, but ultimately its up to you. He never took notes at any of our meetings. Its quite hard but you have to learn to be independent its part of becoming a professional researcher.

B

Hi Pam,

Everybody has a different relationship with their supervisor, but I do the following which might be of interest to you ...

- My supervisor doesn't take notes at our meetings, but after each meeting I write a few bullet points on what we discussed and send these to them (i.e. on a continuous document, so all our meetings from when I started are logged ... this was my supervisors suggestion).

- My supervisor got me to write my first lit review chapter within the first six months of my PhD (... this was about getting me to 'commit' to the PhD by putting pen to paper, and also an opportunity to look at my writing style/how I structure work).

How about discussing a 'general title' with your supervisor for a first lit review chapter (i.e. a 'key word'), and then trying to write something about this (i.e. 5, 000 words).

I think most people on this site (who are further down the PhD route than you are) would suggest ... start writing as soon as possible!

P

Thanks for the replies. I am quite happy being independent. I did my degree with the Open University and most of my MA was directed reading as I was the only one doing my subjects. I was just worried about the 'official' stuff like supervisors logging meetings and informing the department of how many times we have met and when It is a requirement in my department). Also in my handbook there are guidelines for lit review, research panels etc which I don't think my supervisor knows anything about. However I will take control and inform her I have to do these things and by when.

K

In my experience the best people for getting info on official procedures and deadlines are other PhD students and the administrators - my supervisor wouldnt have a clue! Its strange that there arent more official requirements for logging meetings etc. but I know people who havent seen their supervisor in months and months and the uni doesnt seem too bothered! I guess its up to you to ask your supervisor to set deadlines for you if you want them etc - some of them need to be asked to do things!!

H

What has that got to do with the thread?

J

I think I know what you mean, PamW: I worry about forgetting to attend the research training days and so forth. The person who arranges these (the Postgraduate Secretary) is the one who reminds you if you haven't attended something, or are in danger of missing a deadline. The supervisors (in my case) are there to advise on practical research rather than the administrative stuff.

But to add to what others have said, I decided (on advice from other postgrads) to voluntarily produce a monthly progress report (together with short presentation), and send this to all my supervisors/advisors. I've had good feedback on work this way, and I hope that the record of progress will help me write up.

V

Hello everyone- this all sounds quite familiar. I am also quite happy to work independently, but there are definitely certain things which I think (and the university thinks) supervisors should provide; feedback on chapters, organising transfer panels, dates, etc. But in my experience, none of these things have really materialised despite asking and asking about them. Perhaps I should be more insistent, I dont know, but am also unsure if the student will ultimately be held responsible if these things arent sorted, regardless of what it says in the student handbook. Sigh.