would I qualify for an Mphil with the owrk done

B

Ever the optomist, I was wondering if you guys could shed light on this issue. I am 18 months through PhD and taking time out. Have been upgraded on the basis of my transfer report (which was a nightmare in terms of ammendments). With no data collected, and simply a literature review, would I qualify for an mphil or do you require data to be collected. I would imagine this issue varies between uni's (and I have heard that our uni will not give mphil regardless- not sure of truth in this) but I was wondering if I could get your thoughts.

Cheers guys
(Have not been on for some time incase any of you were wondering)

P

I am sure you are right and this issue varies with each university, but in my department (science), a lit review would not qualify for a Masters. Some experiments and results would be required too.

N

I guess it depends on the quality of your work up to date and the standards of your department, but I'd always thought that a MPhil required to present something original, which probably involves new data or a new interpretation of existing data.

Moreover 18 months seems a bit short to get a MPhil, I think that at my university you need to be registered for 24 months or so before being able to submit a MPhil thesis.