Writers Block

T

Hey All,

So i thought i was doing really well. I narrowed done my research and separated it into themes and chapters. Reading loads of books and journals and getting some good quotes. I have started a referencing system so i can keep track of what i have been reading etc. So i sat down in front of my computer and freshly cleaned desk to start my Lit review. And waited for the information to flow.

But it never came..... for some reason i just couldn't start. No matter what i wrote it didn't read right or didn't seem relevant. I am starting to lose my motivation.

Has anyone any tips on how to do or start a literature review.

D

Hi Tigger,

what really helped me was a technique proposed in writing skills class. Start with a blank template, and start writing non-stop for 30 minutes. I normally start with personal problems " Am I Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde? nobody loves me .... I wish I had money to buy new socks...mpla mpla.. where does this PhD go?" Then I start with the overall objective of my PhD, then I put down all these thoughts that they seem like bits and pieces completely unrelated and sporadic. Remember, non-stop for 30 minutes. Repeat as often as you need. It worked so well for me in the first few months, it was really liberating and helped me structure my thoughts. It woked as a PhD diary, as you grow in your PhD, you feel that you always knew everyhting, and you don't realise the progress you make.

Another helpful advice, is after you broke everything in themes start putting the relevant references with the same topic together, and compare their findings. It is important that you keep it clean and organised, so that you can always come back and add more references. I keep them in tables of: Number of participants-experiments/ Method/ Analysis/Results/ Comments.

Hope this helps :)

T

O.k so sat down this morning and did what Dr Jeckyll suggested. ( Thank You)  Within 30minutes i had finished rambling about personal problems and then without even knowing it i started getting some ideas for my work.

So 1000 words later and three journals read and quoted. I feel like i have officially started.

Decided to take little steps at a time. Have constructed some sort of essay plan that is so detailed that all i have to do now is write. By combining the advice from the forum and this i have managed to achieve something that i feel happy about. Now i don't want to leave my desk but my stomach is telling me it's time for lunch. LOL.

Thanks. :-)

D

Hey Tigger!

I am so glad you found your mojo!

Don't forget the 2nd part of the advice. Detailed notes in tables for every paper you read. In the beginning it will seem like you will NEVER finish, however you will be thankful you did it once you come back to your literature review after a year or so. And remember, writing is so bloody hard. At times you would prefer eating cat-food, or packing raw fish, or pulling your teeth out without anaesthesia over writing!

Just Keep going!