Writers Block :-(

N

Hi guys

I have posted previously on this forum regarding my uncertainty of whether or not I want to continue with my PhD. I have been feeling really down lately and was recently diagnosed with depression. I have not been productive at all but really am trying to give it my all. I have my 1 year review in just over 5 weeks time and I dont think I am going to be ready for it, both report wise but also mentally. Today I wrote about 50 words :( I love being in the lab working away but when it comes to sitting down and writing reports etc I just cant seem to get the words out and I hate it. Everyday I feel worse as I make no progress and dread getting up in the morning.

I worked in industry for 2 years prior to starting my PhD and although it was v stressful I actually miss the way of working. I always felt like I had accomplished something and worked really hard everyday but doing this PhD I feel useless and angry because I am not getting anywhere. I am finding the transition very difficult. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

N

Hi there,

It is difficult to maintain a high level of motivation throughout and there are tasks that are more enjoyable than others. Don't let it bring yourself down. Depression can be difficult to manage, especially during a PhD but there may be help available on campus. Also why not talk to your supervisor, if you can? or your graduate school adviser?

You say you enjoy being in the lab. Why not try to fit in smaller periods of writing in between tasks in the lab, even if it is only 20-30 minutes?

I recently published an article on findaphd.com about common PhD problems ("common" in that they have been known to affect many students). There is a section of "loss of motivation" which may be helpful:
http://www.findaphd.com/student/study/study-51.asp

Your university's career service or generic skills unit may also have advice on how to enhance your productivity. May be you need a break? Have you thought of taking a few days off (and not feeling guilty about it!)? We all need to recharge our batteries at some point.

As for the writer's blog, I used a "pen and paper 10 minute writing technique" (can't remember the real name :)) at the beginning of my write-up which you can use whenever you are starting a chapter, a paper or a report (ie when you are confronted with the dreaded blank page) and basically consisted of:
*take a pen and paper (no computer)
*ask yourselves the questions: what did I do? why did I do it? How did I do it? What did I find?
*write for 10 minutes without stopping or going back

This will be a very preliminary draft of the abstract for any paper/report/chapter you write and will help you organise your thoughts.

I was reading about a similar technique, the Pomodoro technique, normally used by writers and freelancers.
There is a good blog on this from a former PhD student:

I hope this was useful. Best of luck!

N

Hi nathaliePhD, thank your for the reply. I shall try all your tips and see how I get on :-) I think this will be my make or break week so going to just give it 110% and see how I get on. I don't work very well at Uni and never have when writing reports etc so going to try it in the comfort of my own home. Just have to try and stay positive :) Thanks again

K

Don't lose confidence, you can do it.It's just a matter of patience.