Writing 25,000 words in 8 days. Possible?

A

So, I have to have 25000 words, which I'm guessing will be the size of this chapter, written by 3 June. I have all the research done, and I have the structure of the chapter, and I'm basically just going to 'search' on my computer when I get to each section and keying the subject/topic in and looking at all my research on that area and then writing it from that. I've just written a princely 154 words so far in 20minutes.:-)

It is more a creative exercise than a research one, about presenting my research well. I'm talking about writing 3000 words per day each day until next Wednesday night. Is it possible? How many words of PhD standard is the most you've written in a day or week?

I'm sort of buzzing now as I look at all my info and the only problem is what to leave out. But having a deadline will definitely help me, I think.

I'll keep a little daily diary here if I think of it!

M

======= Date Modified 27 May 2009 08:53:36 =======
Hmm....that's a tall order and whether it is possible depends on how quickly you can assimilate your research notes. I tend to research and write together so I can't really say if it's possible to just write-up 3000 words a day, but I'm pretty sure it is. I do remember writing my Master's thesis (obviously not PhD quality) in 2/3 days from rough research notes. You'll simply have to glue your bum to your desk chair, and switch off all distractions.

You'll probably make lots of mistakes, so set an hour aside each day to re-read what you've written.

I'm actually attempting a similar feat of 15,000 words in two weeks, but with a lot of research unfinished.

Edit: just to add, why does it have to be 25,000 words?

R

That is a lot, although I once did 2500 words in a day which isn't far off 3000 - don't know if I could do that for eight days straight though! I think if you even had the bones of your chapter done in the 8 days that would be great, is there some reason you have to hit the full count by June 2nd? If not then just focus on getting the chapter done you can try to add more words later!

P

That does sound like a lot. I have managed about 1500 a day before, but I was clear about what I was going to say. It can probably be done, working very concentrated and long hours.. but that kind of regime for eight days? No, not impossible, but it sounds extremely hard!!

Personally, I can't do more than about 1000 words per day of PhD quality.  I know others that can do a lot more, so I suppose it could be possible depending on the individual. I always find that other things get in the way, like supervisor meetings and Cash In The Attic/Homes Under The Hammer, etc.  Best wishes though!

M

2000 a day for a couple of weeks I'd say is perfectly achievable, if exhausting, if you're just writing up notes. To push it up to 3000 I think you need to separate your working day (which is obviously going to a pretty long one for the next 8 days!) into three sections of 1000 words, making sure you take proper breaks and get as much sleep as possible each night. Good luck - I don't envy you!!

S

Wow, that is quite some feat! If I'm on a roll I can normally manage around 2-3K a day, having said that, I wrote 1.5K yesterday and was worn out and everything I tried to write after that was utter rubbish - so I'd agree, you'd have to split it up and make sure you get good breaks in. I tend to splurge it all out then spend another week going back over it to edit and turn it in to English lol. I wrote the whole first draft for my MA dissertation in 8 days and that was 20K words so it is possible, but its exhausting. Hope you get it done ok :-) I thought I was hard done by having to get my board paper written and submitted by the 15th at around 10K words lol

A

Aodhán - from your other posting it looks like you have to do this for your thesis resubmission. Of course you can do it! You have very clear goals set out. Write exactly to those goals and don't change anything else!!!

A

Oh! and cancel EVERYTHING for 8 days. literally. Then, on the 3rd of June, hand it in and go to the nearest pub/cafe/shop and get a massive glass of wine/disgustingly chocolatey cake/crazy beautiful thing you don't need (or preferably all). Then go home and sleep for a couple of days. After that, the next phase of your life starts!

S

nice advice from A116!!! Sometimes I do approximately 2,000 words per day but again it depends on what I'm writing about.
Sometimes I become depressed and dont write anything for days.
Then miraculously I come out of this no-writing-no-working phase and then get back to it.
You'll be ok.
cheers satchi

C

Did you manage to reach your daily goal? I'm interested because I'm trying to finish a Master's diss with a fairly close deadline 8-) - I also have done the research.

J

I remember reading this book (wish I could remember what the title was and the author... it was a book on PhD writing or research writing anyway) and the author was saying how she once reneted a log cabin and basically got everything written in 10 days cos she was just in the log cabin with no distractions whatsoever. Now that's great if you could afford to go off and rent a log cabin and you weren't worried about Jason or Leatherface coming after you but I think you can borrow her logic in the sense that try and find a setting in which you won't have distractions and tell your friends and family you've got to get this done so no distractions for 5-7 days and just sit there and get it done. Still sounds like a huge amount to try and get done and esp. if you're stressed but definitely a quiet environment, adopting a 9-5 approach and just sitting there and saying 'this has to be done' helps!