Writing a Lit Review Chapter with Activity Theory

R

Hi,

I am having problems setting up a lit review chapter to write about a humanities discipline's use of digital technologies (using the discipline's literature as primary sources), but it needs to include "activity theory". My supervisor has suggested using it in my study.

When I think of a usual review, you take a hypothesis and work with it in context of the existing body of literature.

But if you need to add concepts from the perspective of AT aswell, does all of the review need to be based on the principles of this "clarifying descriptive tool", or might it simply be part of one section of the chapter? I have studied activity theory, but am unsure how to lay out the lit review with this included. Possibly someone might be employing this theory in their work, or there could be resources out there that might explain further?

M

With respect, the best person to answer this question is your supervisor.

R

This is true, but the reason I am asking is because I am waiting for an answer and it is taking some time to turn up!

W

do a search for phd theses that have used activity theory to see how they did it. I suppose there would be two ways to approach. open with why you are using at and review the literature through that lense or employ at the end saying why the literature suggests at is a suitable lense to go forward with/ justification and go on to address further in methods.