Writing and publishing...how soon?

S

Another question for today...I have been advised that I need to be in a position to write up ready for publishing within six months of starting my PhD...is this usual? I just don't think I will be anywhere near ready...one of my supervisors has suggested a study that is supposed to be quick to turn around but not actually part of my research proposal and linked by topic only...I feel this will distract and be time consuming...what do you think?

J

You're right: it will distract and is time consuming. On the other hand, it could potentially increase the quality of your thesis if you present early on at conferences, but only if it is clearly related to your doctoral research. This will help you to get external opinions and to be challenged early on. But publications are not necessarily required until you have your PhD, even if they make you believe this is the case. It's not. Don't get distracted. Just write up your thesis. From the first day. Continue writing even if distractions come up. If invitations for extra teaching come up, ignore them and just write. If your government (i.e. your wife, partner or boyfriend/girlfriend) complains about the time you spend with your research, ignore it and just continue writing.

J

The earlier you write and the more you write the earlier the hell will be over. Also don't worry about the quality of your drafts, it is so much easier to improve them later on and to change things than to fill blank sheets of paper.

M

Agree with above.
Tell 'em to go boil their heads, they're probably just using you.

S

Very Machiavellian ... have started wondering... as most suggestions I have made lately have been politely ignored i.e. no evaluation or feedback on work I have done ... feel like I am being manouvered...perhaps I was a bit premature in my earlier praise of supportive supervision...or is it early onset paranoia...

S

always be very careful and make sure you will be accredited for the work you have done - even if you are just doing what you are told.

my supervisor published work done by me in collaboration with someone elses, she got her name on it and I got a thankyou at the end!

End result - not a listed publication for me!

Lesson make sure any work you hand over for publication includes you!!

S

sjo4...thanks for the heads up...that is a shocker...just realising how naive I am...and am a mature student who is quite clued up on recognising the sharks in a tank...however...academia is another tank altogether...How did you rebuild trust...

S

I have to admit I was quite niave, but by the time it was published there was not a lot I could do.

However I have to say my supervisor is actually a good one, just a tad unthoughtful in that regard - I was dissapointed but I should have made sure we agreed if they were published they were mine - her line of thought was that as she had asked for it to be done, it was her work - I still dissagree

I almost got caught out recently as well, when someone wanted a figure for their paper, I agreed as I would be a second author BUT then realised it compromised my work - It would have been publishing the conclusion to all my work without being first author - and thats important.

They are not all bad - you just have to make it clear whose work it is! never let someone - especially your supervisor take a first authorship off you - it can be hard to stand up to them but you must!
S

S

In answer to the trust thing - there are a lot of times in your PhD you will have to swallow your pride and realise that your time will come

holding grudges doesn't get you anywhere and will only slow you down

it is a steep learning curve, but always stand back and consider whether it is worth kicking up a stink - ultimately if you start fights with one supervisor - it will get back to all others and you will struggle to get co-operation, which is very important in this buisness

Just look at the bigger picture and realise 3 years and you'll be done!

Try enjoy your time as a PhD - there will be a lot of setbacks - but enjoy the good times when they come

S

Thank you...that is probably the best advice I have had to date...especially in regard to swallowing my pride..and that my time will come...I generally strive for consensus..but have shocked myself at times at how precious I can be...the process is interesting..thats for sure

S

yes some supervisors often have a way of forgetting they are not talking to their children and everyone has their run-ins

Knowing your place in the pecking order helps

saying that there is a limit!

Just remember If they are bad to you - it just means they have to beg extra hard when they inevitably want your help