Writing level for Ph.D

M

Hi I'm new year - I am currently in my second year of my Ph.D and I am writing up as I go.
I have completed coursework/dissertation Masters (with 26000 words for the dissertation) and got a mark of 80% for both elements.
My main concern with my Ph.D is that I worry that it won't pass if it's not written at 100% level. I think my best writing is around 80%, and won't be good enough to pass my Ph.D...

M

Am I worrying too much????

P

Probably just me... but what does 100% level mean? or 80%?

C

I believe what the person means is that, they have completed a master dissertation and has got a grade of around 80% and therefore feels there 'Standard' is that of what would achieve an 80% grade at Masters level.

The person is wondering whether the ability to write at that level i.e to achieve an 80% score for a Masters Dissertation is enough to allow them to write at a level to pass a PhD review i guess as it is there first year?

I have no idea personally :), but i would imagine it to be a bit more ambiguous then a simple comparison of a masters grade and a PhD level.

Still though 80% is very good, and 26,000 is not a small chunk of change either, though emphasis on quality not quantity would be more apporpriate for the PhD.

L

yes you are worrying about something that is very difficult to "quantitate". i wouldn't even think in terms of percentages in the "level" of writing.

read some books on how to write a phd thesis, it might help to clarify what is expected from a thesis. the content, the originality, the understanding etc.

and i agree 80% is EXCELLENT! you really don't have anything to worry about.

Y

You’re crazy (no offence). I wouldn’t worry about it, especially if you are achieving 80% on a masters dissertation - this is exceptional. I believe that, though important in getting your point across, the quality of writing is not necessarily what is at stake – more the content and strength of argument, including its originality.

M

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better now.