writing on the toilet?

S

Hi everyone. Yesterday I happended to start talking to another phd student on the train (do we have some sort of radar that allows us to identify other phd students?!?) and she told me about a friend of a friend who could only write while sitting on the downstairs loo of his ex-wifes house.

Does anyone else experience this kind of block? I change desk sometimes but nothing so extreme!

J

Not me, but my former boss used to disappear from his desk every so often. When I rang his mobile once, to ask him to check an email I'd sent him, he replied "I'm in a small room with no internet access".

Turns out he was sat on the bog having a read.

M

Ya know..I've never understood that sitting on the loo and reading thing....maybe it's a male-only habit.

I've read about a few well-known writers who can only write in old wooden sheds at the bottom of their gardens, or in pokey little rooms that are furnished with nothing but an uncomfortable chair and desk.

S

when i REALLY want to work i go somewhere with no internet access too (but not the loo). spent the last 4 months sitting in my uni library with no internet connection. it's amazing how much i can get done if i don't surf all day...

C

I find using the toilet a neccesary yet revolting thing. I would never read or write there. I just want to forget about it! :$;-):p

M

Down stairs loo of his ex-wifes house!!!!!!!! Were toilet visiting rights part of the divorce settlement?

H

I can only write my thesis on the staircase of my building.

H

I can write in the toilet. But I can't poo and write at the same time! Also, it depends on what kind of loo it is. The Japanese loo is ace! Has anybody been to a Japanese toilet?

H

No but I have been to the hole in the ground type toilets in India. It would be VERY difficult to squat and write at the same time and also poo.

J

Polish toilets are the best I've ever been in. The flush is connected to the door handle, so you flush by opening the door and leaving the cubicle.

Does take a while to work that out, though.

T

Juno, what is your boss doing answering the phone on the toilet??!

J

I wish he hadn't; it put a very unpleasant image in my mind :$