Writing style/level for PhD?

M

This might turn out as one of those questions like 'how long is a piece of string', and it's also quite hard to explain what I'm asking, but I will try!
I am in social sciences and just want to know what sort of audience you should adapt your writing style to. Obviously I understand I am writing a postgrad level piece and all that, but what 'level' is the writing supposed to be aimed at? When I was an undergrad I was told essays should be aimed at an a-level understanding (don't know whether that's right or wrong, but that's just an example).
Also, how do you know when to start explaining the terms you use, what sort of level of understanding do you assume your reader will have? (your superviser/examiners etc. are probably the only ones who will ever read the whole thing, but, how much do you assume a reader will know?). Sorry if this is confusing!

B

I always think that you should write in a style so anybody (i.e. an adult) can pick up your thesis and understand what your work is going on about (or be able to follow the general gist if they aren't used to reading academic texts). Some might disagree, but ... I think it's far more of an art (and difficult) to be able to explain complex theories SIMPLY (without losing the essense of the arguments) rather than using lots of terminology that no-one understands (and don't assume your examiners will understand all the terminology/theories that come up in your work).

Just write ... and your supervisor should advise you accordingly.

P

I got told by my supervisor that my writing style is way too informal.. he was totally correct and even now, when composing emails I have to try and 'think professionally' (else all emails end up with smiley faces and kisses in them :-S)

Have you read 'The Elements of Style?' - It's a pretty good book for understanding how to put across ideas and regardless of what your research area is.. you might find it helps in terms of 'good english'

X

Ahhhhh mokey, the infamous question. Ask several academics this question and you'll get three different answers, I assure you! I'm having trouble with this one too. I've been told that you need to simplify your writing, which I don't understand because if you read theoretical texts they're often inaccessible to postgrad students, much less laymen! I thought at this level that we were meant to be engaging on a deeper level, but every lecturer I've spoken to has stressed simplicity. Hmmmm...

X

I've been told my style is "too journalistic".
I take that as meaning it's too readable and interesting ;) I need to make it drier, more boring and inaccessible.

I understand what they mean though, it does read well but for phd level it needs a bit more theoretical weight and a firm grounding in the academic literature.

So I'm having to think about making my stuff a bit "heavier" but it's good to know that after i finish (if I ever do ;) ) I have at least some sort of writing skills that might make people want to read my stuff.

B

"Too journalistic" means too personal (i.e. not enough academic engagement/rigour). NOT what you want to be doing when writing your PhD!

X

"but for phd level it needs a bit more theoretical weight and a firm grounding in the academic literature. "

J

This is a difficult one isn't it? You don't want to put in too many explanations because after all in the first instace you are writing for your peers, but on the other hand I often find that when I'm reading articles I'm looking up loads of words just to make sure I understand exactly what they are going on about and even then I sometimes I get to the end of a sentence and wonder what on earth they are trying to say,because they are soooo long. I usually assume they understand and write accordingly, but then I always think that whatever I write is not good enough - and to add to the problem, I think quoting someone I now know is definately cringeworthy, but you have to do it don't you! On balance I would err on the side of formality, but assume they understand most of the terms that I am using.

D

Hi Mokey. I too have a journalistic style - which apparently is the biggest insult going in academia! I am trying to avoid this but unfortunately I like to make my writing too colourful. Try to avoid at all costs - and don't believe journals who claim to want submissions in alternative styles