Writing thesis

D

Does anyone else have/had this problem writing this thesis? I have difficulty remembering if I've written about something already in my thesis somewhere now it's getting bigger - it's driving me nuts! It's probably my random approach that doesn't help :-(

D

I will suggest that you do something really painful - you will have to do it sooner or later... My supervisor made me do it :(
You keep only headings and subheadings of your document, and graphs and tables. Under each graph, you use bullet points to highlight the main findings you will further analyis. Under each subsection you write one bullet point for each paragraph. There are 3 main benefits of doing that:

1. The document will have a clear structure, as you can easily notice parts that don't fit and need to be moved elsewhere. It is also easier to stick to a word limit.
2. Each day you will have a set goal of the paragraphs you need to fill in, so it is much easier to break the work down in smaller parts
3. It will be easy to prepare for your viva, as you will have a paragraph by paragraph summary of your thesis.

This way of writing was also recommended in some writing courses I took last year. In this way the writer could also keep track of his progress on a daily basis and set realistic goals.

D

======= Date Modified 02 Oct 2012 13:15:18 =======
That's a brilliant idea - cheers!
Have you numbered your paragraphs?

D

I like working with the word navigator, so I can see the whole structure of the report from heading to paragraph.

Glad I helped!
Good Luck with writing up!

B

that is a good idea!! thanks a lot.