Writing up tips anyone?

J

hey... i've started writing up and sometimes i can get a lot of work done and then i can go for a month and not do much. how do you keep at it - those who are writing up and those who've submitted their thesis?

V

I understand, writing up is quite a difficult stage, not easy to keep going. What helped me was that I set a deadline when I want to finish and then working backwards planned all work I have to do day by day. And also planned a reward for each stage completed. So, every morning I start with the aim what I want to accoplish today, work and if I finish early, go out have fun and enjoy my reward. Also having friends who ask frequently to report what have I done helps...
Keep my fingers crossed for you as well;)

C

Talk to people for support, don't get too isolated. Set deadline that someone will read a chapter. I found it a knightmare to be honest and did struggle a lot to stay motivated.

U

That is really helpful Verdy. I think I will did what you just said. Also set the reward for each day is COOL as well.
Thanks a lot for ALL of these tips!!
and of course thanks to Jojo who raised this topic up!!
Cheer up 4 both of us!! Good luck to u and me

H

Oooh its Sailor Moon!

A

Hi,
I am also writing up and running into the same problem. What I did find helpful is having a few people ask me how my writing is coming along. For some strange reason I want to go straight back to writing when they do. Unfortunately if they don't ask a thing for a few days I start slacking again. Haven't figured out what to do about it yet.

J

what is working for me right now is the prospect of someone else proof reading my work before i give it to my supervisor - for some reason, i feel motivated to give them something to read. hope that remains the case for a while.

thanks everyone for your tips - keep them coming - am definitely implementing your suggestions.

B

i agree with jojo: i have set up a timetable with an editor recently. and have to stick to it. this may sound weird but: since he is new to the 'ping pong' game of sending chapters back and forth between myself and my supervisors, i find that i value his deadlines. they come across as being 'real' deadlines from the 'real' world.

J

are there any cheap editors out there who do phd editing? would like to hear more about this.

V

jojo: about editors_ 1) did you mean editors or proofreading? Anyway from my sad experience I sugegst- take only an editor/proffreader that is recommended by someone who has used his/her services. Otherwise will be like in my case- I paid loads of money but examiners still pointed out problems with English in my MpHil thesis.