Writing your own reference

A

I'm applying for a scholarship and one of the requirements is a letter of support from my supervisors. My supervisors are happy to give me a letter of support, but have asked that I draft it for them to sign! I'm not sure how to approach this. Has anybody else ever been in this position? I just don't feel comfortable composing a letter singing my own praises and then sending it to my supervisors! Help.

A

Hi Aussiechick

I've had to do this when I worked in "the real world" (not that dodgy 90s reality show, my old job).  I suggest that you use it to your advantage. There will be a tick list of words that they want to see.  Match your reference up to the person specification (if it's available). Step back and write it about that girl Aussiechick you know.  Don't be embarrassed about it. Although it's annoying it allows you to really sell yourself.

Good luck

A

M

I've personally not encoutered this (unfortunately!), but my friends and family (again in the 'real world') have been asked to write their own references. I agree with A116, take advantage of it, and don't be afraid to big yourself up.