You don't need a PhD to publish.

T

Isn't this true? To publish in a high impact journal/conference, you don't even need a PhD..:

P

this is indeed true - papers are typically blind reviewed,what counts is the quality of the research and how it is written up. A Ph.D will help with getting funding to actually do the research in the first place though! or a research fellow/associate job....

Of course you can. You just have to submit and be accepted. I know a few people who've done it - whereas I've never had a journal article... In theory, you don't even need a degree.

T

And I thought you need to have a PhD or super smart to do it... : /

B

Of course you don't need a PhD to do it. I had 2 journal papers published during my part-time PhD, one in a very eminent journal. I was sole author, so all the work was on my shoulders. That's normal in humanities.

The advantage of having a PhD is you are more experienced in the process, and usually more confident, but you don't need it. Though I'd argue that you are more likely to have a successful submission the more experienced you are.

Journals often expect affiliations though. I always put myself down as independent researcher, and honorary research fellow (as I am) at my university.

W

No you don't. That's how some people get their PhD, PhD via publication. You have to have a degree and then a certain number of publications, although you still have to be registered with a University to get the PhD awarded so there is still some cost involved and I don't think you can get your PhD through the publication route through a university you are employed by? but I couild be wrong. Oxford University with the IfL are running CPD courses at the minute teaching education practitioners how to get published so publishing without a PhD looks like it's on the up.

No you don't. But publishing to journal helps indirectly towards a PhD as regards learning required writing style for your thesis.

Journal Publications and Conference presentations are expected if you're a PhD Candidate anyway.

However the reality is most people don't get more than a couple of presentations and one or two papers done by the time they finish due to the time constraints involved.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

B

Quote From Mackem_Beefy:
Journal Publications and Conference presentations are expected if you're a PhD Candidate anyway.

Not sure how true that is in humanities. Maybe it's different in science, but I'd be careful about generalising too much.

Basically I was quite unusual in having 2 journal publications during my humanities PhD. I had co-authored papers during my (had to abandon, as illness developed) full-time science PhD. But humanities was a quite different kettle of fish.

M

Some high schools are affiliated to universities. The students have the opportunities to work with university professors on various projects, and publish papers in high impact journals.