Advice one year before apply for PhD

B

Good morning,

I have decided to apply for a PhD next year and now I am wondering what I ought to begin with... I have decided a PhD topic and have started to do some initial research for the project plan. I have contacted one university whose research is similar to my topic.

- Should I get in touch with as many universities as possible to discuss the topic etc?
- When do I start looking for funding?

Thanks for your help!

S

Hi There!

A very exciting stage to be at. My own tuppence worth:

1. Court potential supervisors - focus on individuals who will be great to work with and have research interests closely aligned to what you want to do.
2. Funding can be a tricky one (much depends on which country you're in) - but always a good one to discuss (at a little later stage) with potential supervisors. If a potential supervisor is willing to sponsor and fight your corner with the university, you stand a much better chance of success, in my experience.

The big question is are you in Arts/Humanities or Sciences/Engineering? Funding is a bit more free flowing for the latter, in general.

B

Thanks for your answer!
I live in Europe but will do the PhD in Humanities in either Scotland or England!

I got in touch with one member of the department who is doing similar research to my topic. He asked me what thought I had given funding but I could not give him a straight answer as this is just early stages yet..!

S

I would suggest looking at the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) website. They disperse (limited) funding to universities around the UK for funding PhD students. Some universities will have their own funding that they can make available - but that will be on an institutional basis. Also, there are some universities that will post links to charitable organisations that make some scholarships available.

It isn't easy to get funding - but don't be put off. It has to go to someone, and you've as good a chance as the next person :)

All Best