Call for PhD Interview by New Zealand Asst. Professor

K

Hi there. I received an email from New Zealand Asst. Professor - calling me to attend 20 mins telephonic interview on Monday.

And, following are my questions;

1. Does attending / call for an interview means anything ?
Can I assume I have been offered the position and this interview is just a small discussion
or still I have to clear the interview to get the position?

2. What do they ask or test ?

3. Can I ask questions to them ?

4. I am bit worried about my GPA as it does not qualify me for PhD but I have very good work experience (3 yrs in academic and 3 yrs in industry) nearly relevant to position. So will I loose the offer if I don't perform well in the interview ?

5. What does New Zealand researchers look for in an interview ?

6. Do they ask anything from the PhD topic / about the group / Univ etc ?

7. How should I address them ?

8. What should I prepare ? any technical stuff that goes in depth or casual discussion or both ?

Any other inputs are most welcome.

Awaiting answers very eagerly

Regards,
Shiva.

Hi Shiva
Not sure what the background to this is but based on what you say and a few friends' experiences I would say that the interview is another step in the appointment process. Someone will be offered a position, based on the outcomes of the interviews. With any luck it will be you! You clearly have a chance otherwise they would not bother with the interview, so don't worry about the GPA - they must see promise in your experience/proposal. If you are applying for a PhD, yes - be prepared to talk about your proposed topic and link it strongly to your previous experience. Start off addressing them formally (Good morning, Professor X, or Dr Y); if someone says, 'Call me John', fine, take their cue. Work out any time differences. Research the staff lists on the department website to see who is there and what their roles and research interests are, and how they fit with yours. Lastly, have some water handy by the phone. Wear a smart outfit, including shoes, so you feel work-like and formal. Somehow no-one sounds the same in pyjamas!!! Have fun, and the best of luck :)

K

Hi Pootle,

Thanks a lot for the info and tips. I am gearing up for the interview......its the 1st interview after 3-4 years of
attempts.....

Cheers.