Chances of being able to complete a PhD with a 2.2 + master's degree.

R

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question.
I'm in my final year of my undergraduate degree (accounting with French), and I'm not sure that I'll manage to get a 2.1. I'm planning to enroll on the MA Philosophy course at the Open University next year, where the entrance requirement is simply an "honours degree". I'm also very aware that this is a dramatic change in subject area! After this, provided everything goes well, I would like to complete a PhD (also in philosophy).

I'm wondering whether a 2.2 classification in my undergrad degree would ruin my chances of being accepted for a PhD. I thought that perhaps because accounting is so far removed from philosophy, a university would be willing to overlook poorer performance at this level.
I do not expect to obtain any scholarships and am prepared to fund my own studies.

Thanks!

L

Hello Reb4002,

I would say yes, no problem ;)
When I applied for my PhD ( + fundings), I just gave my master's degree transcripts ! They didn't ask for the BA results ... or maybe they did, but I did not gave them as I was not happy about them ^^

Good luck with your studies !

R

Hello,

That's a relief! Thanks so much for your reply :)

I've just seen this, so sorry for the late reply.

I got onto my chosen PhD via 2(ii) plus Masters (with a few years works experience thrown into the mix). 2(ii) plus Masters should be enough to entitle you to funding from the research councils (if relevant). I went on to gain my PhD despite being only a 2(ii).

You might still be at a disadvantage in interview compared to people who have got a 2(i) or a first, so ensure your interview technique, background reading and enthusiam for the chose subject shine through when you meet the interview panel or potential supervisors.

All the best,

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

R

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply! That's reassuring, it's great to hear from people who were in the same situation. Also a good point about having to compete with those with higher classifications. It seems a little bit daunting now, but thankfully I have a good bit of time to improve interview technique and do some extra reading and preparation. Thanks for the advice! :)