Confusion and Irritation

M

Hi,
In my last post i had asked if it was feasible to sent a reminder email to PhD supervisor. I did and the supervisor replied.
Now i have to draft a proposal as per his instruction.He has provided me with details of his project and has clearly mentioned "You have to do xxxxx" after which "this xxx has to be done". I am confused is he keen on supervising students who will work on his project and proposal should be submitted in line with details provided??. Isn't proposal suppose to be a true concept which we develop and propose.

If anyone would could tell me how to go about this problem, would be of great help

H

Hi Mugdha

What field are you in? That may have some effect on what is the norm.

T

In my experience, supervisors have some idea of what they want you to do and even if you submit a proposal that suggests something else, you will still end doing what they want you to do...

M

Quote From HazyJane:
Hi Mugdha

What field are you in? That may have some effect on what is the norm.

I have majored in Biochemistry....and plan to pursue research in plant sciences.

Treeoflife-- I have submitted a proposal before but this is new to me i was taught proposal is suppose to be true idea.

But is it completely fine if i just pick up his details and submit a proposal??

T

If he has mentioned what he wants you to do then I think you should include that in your proposal but just make it clear that you are basing it on his ideas as suggested and then just throw in some of your own as well.

There's basically two different approaches to getting a PhD: one, you send in a proposal of your own ideas and two, you reply for an advertised position with a covering letter. This seems to be a mix between the two, maybe to see if you understand what he is looking for and can build on the ideas suggested.