Cost of bad choices

M

Well, i just needed to get this off my head,

I recently graduated with a 64% (first class) in my masters, its considered quite a good thing from where i come from since uni topper stands at 69-70% (it has one of the toughest marking system), so practically i stood at top 30% of the class i even managed top my bachelors degree. Now i feed stupid to even choosing this place as i realize now i would have been better off at other places, one of my friends went elsewhere and scored around 90% and so did most of her colleagues,well that was shock of my life, i have never heard people scoring this high in basic sciences, here!.

Now i am trying to apply for phd abroad i am facing trouble, most supervisors/universities are happy with my cv (i had got internships at top institutes/industries, recognized around the world) but they red flagged my marks. How am i suppose to explain them that those are not bad grades but best a person can get within this university. It will come off as i am defending myself !! because people from other universities (like my friends) stand too high on marks. It hit me this is why people from my university fail to make it to top colleges across the world.

Now, i feel i wasted two years of my life working 12 hours in lab even during vacation and weekends trying to be best and getting into good college, just to be downgraded due to marks and punished for no fault of mine.

But i have decided to apply at as many places i can, it will at least give me peace knowing i could not do anything more and i have nothing nothing to loose its already been lost!!

P

Dear Mugdha
Isn't it possible to send the average of marks to the universities you want to register!? if it's impossible try to improve of your other works that you've done to now,Bold them and try to show them much more important than marks.
And be careful don't ruin the rest of life because of 2 years ! of course is sad to see the bad effects of it but it wasn't a bad experience and at least you yourself now about your level!

wish you luck.

M

I would say if its possible you should try and get some publications out of your work. This would then demonstrate that even though your marks are not as high as they would have been somewhere else, the work is of a really high standard. If you had some publications you would then be in a very strong position to get into a top PhD programme.

M

Also I would say that if you got this grade from a top uni with world famous academics in your field working there, it will be well respected. Most universities will recognise this and will offer you a place, as academics generally know where's a good uni and where is not. For example someone with a 2:1 from Oxford more likely to get accepted and funding for a PhD than someone with a distinction from London Met

D

Academics are aware about these discrepancies in marks among different institutions.

I also didn't get a distinction in the first degree or the masters , however I was also among the top 10% of my peers. I stated this in my application, and my supervisor also mentioned it in the recommendation letter.

I had a publication before starting the PhD. Marks are just a relative number and don't say much about a person's abilities.

Good luck

R

Quote From DrJeckyll:
Marks are just a relative number and don't say much about a person's abilities.

Good luck

+1
I studied masters in overseas and my grades were very low in masters. But I was offered to pursue ph.d. It all depends on how your profile matches with the requirement of particular ph.d. Do not loose your hope. You may have to try harder (otherwise, you need to apply or contact many research groups). All the best

T

Which country did you get your masters in and which country are you applying to? Which country did your friends get their masters in?

I

M

Thank you all
Montanita I went ahead and made further inquiry with admission department, they said they knew of the problem and will take it into account and my referee will be asked about the same.

Dr.jeckyll i spoke with my referee she has agreed and has noted to mention that my marks are good in my cohort and will indicate same in my reference.