First PhD Interview: Prep/Expected Questions

S

After a lot of applications, I've finally got a decent interview. I work in a university anyway, so my boss and department are going to help with my prep, but can anyone remember how theirs went, or specific questions/advice on prep?

I've spoken to the supervisor by phone already, and we seem to get along reasonably well. And I'm generally quite good at interviews and public speaking too.

And help would be deeply appreciated.

PS: Since when did this place become such a spam-haven? I saw half a dozen topics promising false passports on the first page alone.

R

Hi Solo, this link might be helpful:

Though I'm sure you'd prefer some advice from a forumite!

Apologies for the spam overload, we are trying to tackle it, but in the meantime, keep reporting it and we'll keep removing it.

S

hi solo congratulations on getting a phd interview! I am sure you will certainly shine at it :-)

for me, the most important questions were:

1. Why do you want to do a phd?
2. Why are u interested in this project?
3. What makes u stand out from other candidates?

best of luck--and post back when you get it the phd offer
love satchi

S

Thanks guys, I'll have to do some prep then.

A

If you haven't applied for a specific advertised PhD project, but developed your own proposal, it also might be useful to think in terms of what is original and new about it, and how it will contribute to the knowledge in your respective field.
And, good luck, of course!

S

Thanks Aelys, I've been applying to specific projects, I don't really want to do my own proposal just yet.

Can anyone suggest specific questions I can ask them myself? I have a habit of researching my own queries beforehand, thus being left with little to ask during the interview itself.

T

Just ask the questions anyway, even if you already know the answers. They don't know that you already know! Or, say "I saw this online, is that still the case?" This way, it also shows you've done your homework.

S

Yeah, thanks Tree. Your help is always appreciated.

Still, done all my prep, I'll do another session this evening. I think I've done all I can, so...like a thousand commanders on a thousand battlefields: I wait for the dawn.

T

Good luck!

S

A little surprised how well that went actually, but I always interview well, even if the anticipation at home this morning had me retching my breakfast. Ugh, such a pansy.

S

Rejected....crap.

Alright, thanks for the help guys and gals. I'll have to find something else.

Smeg I hate being unemployed.

S

**Big hug**
love satchi

T

Keep trying.

S

Hehe, thanks Satchi, love you too.

And thanks too Tree, I'm in no rush, might find something else interesting in the meantime.

A

Sorry to hear that. But the fact that you were interviewed clearly indicates that they thought you are PhD material. See if you can get any feedback, it might be useful in further applications.