Funded phd application? heeeelp

P

Hi Everyone
I would really appreciate any help on filling out the application form for a funded phd project? As the project is already funded, it already has a title purpose and description. I am really struggling to fill in parts of the application form and doubting everything i write!
What for example would i write for my approach to the project? the methodology I would use? but this is already detailed in the project description?
I am so confused! please please help!

B

Hi poppycat,

What specific questions do you need to answer in the application form? I've recently gone through the application process, and so may be able to offer some advice.

P

Hey brmgdude, thanks for the reply. One of the questions on the application form is what approach would you take? (in relation to the research). Should i discuss methodology in to answer this? how much detail would it need to be in? any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

B

I believe someone else may be better to answer this question, as I haven't had direct experience of it. There are two ways in which you could approach this.

Firstly, the question could be an opportunity to demonstrate the following;

- (Briefly, 1-2 sentences) How much you know about the methods that are often used in the field?
- What methods you have used in the past and what skills you've developed from them (e.g. "I have previously used method X, which helped develop A B and C. During this project, problem D came up, in which I overcame by doing E, which taught me F and G". That type of thing sounds like it would fit into this question.
- The importance of the methods that will be used. You could let them know that not only is the method incredibly important to the success of the project, but that it will also help you acquire the skills you need for longer term career ambitions etc.
- Probably more things I haven't thought of!

You can also go down the route of answering the question in more of a "what do you know about the specific methods we have mentioned" way (Or if it is your own methodology, you could do a detailed plan of what you want to achieve and how you will do it)

My personal opinion (Others may disagree), is to use the first method. Using every opportunity to show what you're made of is more likely to score you an interview. If they were expecting a more specific approach, they will then ask you that in the interview. The other way around is more risky; they are less likely to take the time to interview you if they are unsure of whether you have the right skills and experience, even if you've researched methodology well.

In summary - let them know why you are uniquely good for the position as early on in the application process as possible.

And as always, I'm not an expert in this field, so always get a second opinion :)

B

As a side note;

I believe that my success was not just down to my written application, but from getting into contact with potential supervisors early, prior to applying. I cannot recommend this enough, someone is far more likely to hire you if a) they have already met you, and b) you've shown that you're really interested by making the effort to get into contact, either in person or (if absolutely not possible) via email or telephone

P

Hi
Brmgdud, thank you for the advice, its given me the ideas i needed to finish my application! I was thinking of getting in touch with the supervisor running the project via email, so thanks for giving me the push i needed to do it!
Doing these applications forms are a nightmare and so time consuming, but thanks for taking some of the stress out of it!

B

Hi Poppycat,

No worries, glad I can be of help!

If you ever need a proof-read of one, don't hesitate to send one over my way :)

P

did you use references in your application, out of curiosity? i havent as yet, and i am starting to second guess myself!

C

Quote From poppycat:
Hi Everyone
I would really appreciate any help on filling out the application form for a funded phd project? As the project is already funded, it already has a title purpose and description. I am really struggling to fill in parts of the application form and doubting everything i write!
What for example would i write for my approach to the project? the methodology I would use? but this is already detailed in the project description?
I am so confused! please please help!

Hi poppycat, I am going through the same process that you described in your question. I am filling in an application for a project that is already funded. I am not sure how to approach the question ' How would you expect to develop the project?' would you please give me any advice on how to answer this? Should I write about methods? Did it work for you to contact the supervisors? Thanks in advance!!