Gap year before PhD?

G

Hi,
I was wondering whether it is best to take a year or two years out before applying for a PhD after graduating from a masters degree, especially for humanities students. Would it matter taking a year out to work on your application or is it best to continue studying when your brain is in the academic mindset so would find it easier? I am aware that every situation is individual and it is a variable situation, but I would be interested to know how many people commonly take a year out and how this was felt to have impacted on their study.
Thank you!

T

Quote From greengables34:
Hi,
I was wondering whether it is best to take a year or two years out before applying for a PhD after graduating from a masters degree, especially for humanities students. Would it matter taking a year out to work on your application or is it best to continue studying when your brain is in the academic mindset so would find it easier? I am aware that every situation is individual and it is a variable situation, but I would be interested to know how many people commonly take a year out and how this was felt to have impacted on their study.
Thank you!

Absolutely, work for a couple of years before you do your PhD. It will give you a stronger idea of relevant Phd research topics and if you ever decide that you want to pursue a non academic life after doing your PhD, then your work experience will be tremendously useful to you. Given the high number of people finding an academic career difficult to pursue due to shrinking funding, a strategy to prepare a back up plan is essential.

T

I agree that a gap year or so will do no harm and will broaden your skills and perspective etc. I suppose there is a chance that there could be less funding down the line. But actually I think that won't be the case , as research is something the UK likes to invest in. But in any case, you'll be a more competitive applicant with the experience under your belt! So yeh, no harm and some possible benefits of gap year!