is it possible to be admitted for a Phd after Msc w/out thesis?

D

i am attending at Msc w/out thesis program on economics, and i am wondering whether i can get admission for a phd program or not. it is w/out thesis but i'll do a research project, i mean that this program does not only offer courses. i am looking for phd especially in USA and in canada.

T

I think you mean you are doing a taught MSc rather than a research one. That doesn't make any difference. An MSc is an MSc.

C

I disagree, a taught MSc and a research one are different degrees, and it does make a difference - that's almost like saying there isn't a difference between the exam and research side of a PhD!

To elaborate - if you are given a choice between two students:
- one has a taught MSc with some relevant courses and a minor project that isn't particularly relevant,
- the other has a research MSc whose thesis was on a topic very close to the proposed PhD topic,
it's pretty clear that the research MSc would have an advantage.

However, don't see this as a discouragement! I don't know much about the exact admittance policies in USA/Canada, but what I've found to be an important admission criteria in general is that the student demonstrates a clear understanding of and interest in the proposed PhD topic.

This can come in the form of good grades in relevant courses and/or research experience. I would imagine that if you got fairly good marks in relevant courses and your research project is relevant to the program that you're applying for, then you'd be in with a good chance. Just be aware if you do mediocre in your exams and work on a project that has little to do with any of the profs' expertise in the program then you are lowering your probability of admittance.

T

I meant in terms of entry requirements - any MSc will do in the UK, but obviously a research one is better in terms of experience and hitting the ground running when starting a PhD.

US PhD candidates tend to have a lot of experience and will have probably worked in a lab during term time/summer break. If they have a done an MSc they probably will have already have lecturing experience as well. This can mean it is difficult to compete with them if you are not in a similar position.

D

it's not a thesis but research project includes same requirements with thesis. can i have the chance to explain this situation during application process?

T

Yes - depending on the supervisors some will care you have no thesis and some won't. My MSc was similar to yours I think. I did a 4 month computer based research project. I had zero lab experience. I still got a lab-based PhD. This was in the UK though; I doubt I would have got a PhD in the US.