just submitted my PhD research proposal

D

Hi, everybody. I am from Hong Kong. I am planning to pursue a Phd next year. I have just completed my research proposal and am now looking for a supervisor. I have contacted some potential supervisors in various universities and sent my research proposal to them for perusal. But I haven't still got any reply from them. I am so anxious and afraid not to be admitted.

Just wondering if there are anyone from Hong Kong who are planning to do a PhD?

N

Hi there,
Below are some of my Golden Rules of making first contact
• Hook them! By that I mean tell them something interesting (and not just obvious flattery!) about you, your research interest and how it matches with their own expertise. For example, you may wish to summarise your research proposal in an abstract which they may be more inclined to read than a 20-page full proposal.
• Avoid sending a mass email to dozens of universities and personalise your emails.
• Don’t demand an immediate response or hassle the people you contacted too soon (although your email should be answered).
• If you have the information, cc' in the graduate school administrator and/or the person in charge of postgraduate recruitment. This will increase your chances of getting a reply.

The reality
Not all academics will answer. This is not personal, it is just because…. they’re busy, they have too many students, they’re not sure your research topic is the right one, they’re about to retire…… However, if you have potential, sincere research ambitions and an interesting topic/project you want to research, it will be a very good basis for your search in a supervisor.
Best of luck,
Nathalie

D

Nathaliephd, thanks for your reply. I did some of the things you mentioned. I did include an abstract in my research proposal. Before I sent the proposal to potential supervisors, I contacted the PhD admissions coordinator who told me who would be the most suitable persons to supervise my research. I think their research areas are a close match to mine. Most of the gradutate schools here advise students to contact the admissions coordinator of their own deparment before they submit an application. So, I am afraid 'cc' to the graduate schools may not help a lot!

To increase the chance of being admitted, I want to make an application as soon as possible (once someone is interested in my research and can be my supervisor). I have started to become nervous and sleepless.
Maybe professors are still on vacation so they cannot answer. But I do hope that they will reply to me soon.