made wrong choice

D

Hi, I've been reading on here for ages but this is my first post. I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I was offered two funded PhDs at different universities starting this Sept and I feel I have chosen the wrong one. Would it be worth contacting the supervisor to ask if they would consider me again should the reserve candidate drop out? Thanks

S

Well this is a little tricky! But well done on identifying this now. Something good can still come of this pickle - have faith! If the decision is based on your research topic and interest then I would say yes absolutely do. If this is a purely based on your academic wishes (and not for example location etc.) I would suggest it is worth arranging an appointment to see them. They liked you for many reasons - those reasons will not have changed. A PhD is a long time to be sat in a rowing boat wishing you had taken a different direction - so why not see if the door is still open? It may also be worth weighing up which supervisor you would work best with too.....Wishing you a lot of luck - let us know how you get on!

D

Thanks for your advice, both research teams are fantastic but I prefer the other project. I'm going to contact the supervisor, I can only try!

D

Well,it went pretty much as expected. They had a strong reserve candidate who accepted straight away! That's that.