MPhil offer and jobs opportunities post it.

A

Hi all,

I am Anirudh a graduate student from a prestigious institute in India. I am an research enthusiast in Biofuels and have trying for a PhD in the same area in UK/EU but have found no luck. However, I have no interest in academia and clearly mentioned in all my applications that i would interested in taking up an industrial job and later start up my own business or something.

I havent got a single PhD opprtunity but at present I have got MPhil opportunity in Energy at Newcastle university for January entry. I would have to pay 15,000 pounds as fee most of which will be loan. Will it b a good idea to take up the opportunity and applying for jobs in UK/EU on the MPhil degree. Going through the forum I have got an hint about how phds are considered overqualified for industry jobs. Also, I have been in touch with the supervisor emails who has been telling me things as they are actually, about lack of PhD funding and over qualification of a phd for an industrial job.

I would like to get the opinion from the forum how are job prospects for an MPhil graduate in UK/EU in biofuel sector. If so how should I prepare myself from the day 1 of MPhil to gain a job right after completion. I would also like to know if any full or partial scholarship can be awarded for an International graduate applicant for MPhil.

Thanks in advance

T

I would suggest you stop mentioning you have no interest in academia - there's no need to tell people that at this stage.

I'm not sure about your other points.

A

No, I did not mention I wasn't interested in academia directly or even indirectly. As a part of my career plans in the statement of purpose or letter motivation I mentioned about my industrial ambitions but not about the disinterest towards academia etc.

Do you think they might have rejected because of the industrial motivation?

Please help me connect to people who have a fair idea about the MPhil job prospects.

Thanks You

T

Yes, saying you're interested in industry jobs might put off people and give the impression you don't want an academic job.

You can start looking for jobs as soon as you start your MPhil. It's quite unlikely that you will be able to find grants for an MPhil. You should probably think about doing part-time work simultaneously.