MRes after MSc as I plan to do PhD

S

I have completed my Masters in Biotechnology. However, I am interested in cancer research and wish to pursue that for my PhD. I have done a few research projects with a good enough CGPA along with a low impact factor journal publication. However, I have tried for some time and have not managed to get a PhD position. I am wondering if doing MRes specialized in cancer (or biomedical research) from a university in UK will increase my chances of getting a phd.

S

In my opinion, I would be tempted to take a research assistant role. Let me explain why. This would give you a chance to earn some money, network and increase your skillset. It may lead to more publications which will help and often a research lead will be willing to write a grant or get funding for you to do a PhD.

However, if you have tried this or aren't keen to do this then yes an MRes could be helpful. Have you had any feedback on your applications?

S

Quote From sciencegirl3456:
In my opinion, I would be tempted to take a research assistant role. Let me explain why. This would give you a chance to earn some money, network and increase your skillset. It may lead to more publications which will help and often a research lead will be willing to write a grant or get funding for you to do a PhD.

However, if you have tried this or aren't keen to do this then yes an MRes could be helpful. Have you had any feedback on your applications?

I have not got feedback from any applications I've done. I am from India, and I have heard the masters from here is not that much of values especially from a university is not highly ranked. The quality of research done in most labs here and cancer research is kind of in a similar state is not the greatest and most of them do not have proper funding so it is difficult to earn as well as doing quality research is difficult. Getting quality publication is far more difficult cause they prioritize the PhD students for that.