my phd topic might no longer be relevant

M

Hello all,

I have been accepted onto a phd program for september 2013. However, I am not sure about the validity/usefulness of my topic, given the fact that my original argument is gradually being destroyed in the light of new evidence. I feel so disheartened and don't know what to do. Am I allowed to change topics? I wrote my topic a few months ago about a not-so-distant event, so I should have expected this.

Thanks.

Hi majar,
I'm not *entirely* certain about this, but I'm sure you can rewrite the title of your thesis - in fact I don't think it's set in stone until the very last minute! New results and papers are published all the time; it would make no sense to not be able to change your idea if someone else has recently invalidated it. So I'm sure you can change topic. But if you can't, could you rethink your argument and change it to build on what has recently been discovered? Perhaps this new evidence could work in your favour? :)

CtSilver

M

Hi,i am currently doing my mphill in computer science and wanna find a research topic or a problem statement,i have a plan to research on something related to "spatial datamining using the grid technology"
grid should be playing a major role in it.
can please anybody help me or suggest a research topic related to it ,make sure that it is innovative and novel as well,plz
kindly respond me as soon as possible

S

hi majar
I read your post with interest. Topic is really important. I am having the same type of problem finding jobs (due to my phd topic). Unfortunately I was not wise enough to realise what I was doing (when I started the phd!), just too bad for me. So act now while you can.

wishing you all the best
love satchi