Phd after conversion course

J

Hi,

I am looking for advice on applying for a Phd in Software Engineering/ Human-Computer Interaction. I am currently working as a software developer and interested in pursuing an academic career in Computing at university level. I have recently completed a Masters degree in Computing with a Pass last year, however I have a 2:1 undergraduate degree in Graphic Design.

I feel that the subject knowledge I have only gained on my Masters may be less adequate compared to a 3 year undergraduate degree to pursue a Phd. Would my current knowledge and experience be suitable to apply for a Phd in Computing or would it be beneficial to undertake another/ specific course before applying?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeanluc

D

I have just submitted a doctoral thesis in law despite only doing a graduate diploma in law, so it can be done.

B

Buy a couple of undergraduate textbooks off Amazon and use the time before, and in the early stages of your PhD to catch up on the relevant material. Or you could even sit in a few undergraduate lectures.

Your Masters qualification is superior to an undergraduate degree, in terms of having the necessary skills to do a PhD.

J

Thanks for the advice.

Would my background be a hindrance when putting a proposal forward that may be slightly technical? Also, would lecturers see my background and qualifications as a lesser priority compared with competing computer science graduates?

Thanks

JeanLuc