PhD proposal advice

A

Hello

I am currently studying a MSc Business Intelligence degree and I would like to undergo a PhD once it's completed. As such I'm going to work on my research proposal over Christmas and New Year.

I was wondering if any of you have any advice based on your own experiences. I am currently looking to apply to 2 universities and have the slight advantage that I am a HPL Lecturer at one of them and a current student at the other. So I can speak directly with potential supervisors quite easily.

I have 1 area I am very keen to explore and so far I believe it is original. However, I do have some variations of the topic I could use if needed.

I'd appreciate any advice you can provide to assist me with my proposal.

Thanks in advance.

T

Hello

My advice would be to definitely apply for both (as funding is so competitive so best to put your eggs in more than one basket). If you have people in mind who could potentially supervise your project, I would talk to them about it and see if they are on board (by the sounds of it they would be!) and will support you in putting an application in. Be open at the outset that you are thinking of applying at two institutions to increase your chances of getting funding. Once you have their support you can draft the proposal (or two slightly different version of the proposal based on the different funding you are applying for and the different input/guidance that your supervisor may give). The beauty of getting them on board is that can give specific feedback on your proposal before submitting it.

My advice is based on my application for funding a year or so ago. Others may disagree but it worked for me. I would just emphasize the being open about applying at two universities part - especially as you will potentially be relying on each of them to provide you with references.

Good luck!