Seeking advice

D

Hi Guys,

It is me again. I am feeling so upset. All of my PhD applications have been rejected. This morning, I got another email telling me that my PhD application (my last one) is not successful. But the professor asked me if I am interested in being reconsidered as an Mphil applicant.

In the email, the professor said I have the potential to do independent research but feels that it would be more appropriate if I complete an M.Phil. degree before pursuing a PhD. I have obtained my MA degree.

Although I am not told that I will be admitted at this point, I am thinking whether it is worthwhile. What do you guys think?

T

Hi,
Is the MPhil a funded programme or you will have to pay for yourself?
If it's fully funded, consider taking it up. Probably the Professor would like to gauge your capabilities, if you impress, chances are that come second year, you may be upgraded to PhD. Like I mentioned in one of your other posts, don't relent, continue applying despite rejections.

I wouldn't be discouraged at all. Nowadays postgraduate students are always registered as MPhils, and then they usually have the option to upgrade to PhD status after the first year review of research progress.

I think that this is the way Universities use to prevent students dropping their PhDs half way through.

Also, I know a few top rank academics in my field who got an MPhil before they embarked on a PhD.

T

Well, postgrad students aren't always registered as an MPhil student first, that depends on the university and the department I believe, but it is rather common.

I

Quote From TreeofLife:
Well, postgrad students aren't always registered as an MPhil student first, that depends on the university and the department I believe, but it is rather common.

That's true I didn't do an MPhil before doing my PhD. As TheEngineer said: if it's funded and it's one year MPhil course that's research-intensive (some actually hand out MRes) then I'd say go for it you'll also enhance your research abilities which would clearly suit you during the PhD. You could get in touch with him and ask him/her why he/she thinks the MPhil is a good course to embark upon- this way he/she'll perhaps shed some insight into the programme and the skills you lack at present.

Having said that keep applying elsewhere as well.

D

Thank you for the replies, buddies. the Mphil program is a funded research program.

The Professor said to me that the Mphil program would give me some substantial research experience in my selected area of study. If I say yes, I will most probably be re-interviewed and need to revise my proposal to fit in with an Mphil thesis again. But after doing all these, there is no guarantee that I will be given the offer. I am just thinking 'negatively' and 'pessimistically' that I will get nothing even though a large amount of time has been spent. My effort will be eventually in vain. This makes me so frustrated and confused about whether or not considering the Mphil program.

Of course, I will try to apply again but the deadlines for PhD applications for 2014 - 2015 have been over in my place. I cannot afford to do a PhD overseas because I know it is hard for me as an overseas student to get full funding. Anyways, I think I will say yes to the Professor and see what will happen next.

I

In that case tell him you'll consider it- it seems the fact that you haven't had success so far in other universities could be in fact related to this issue which the Professor has raised. Consider yourself lucky that he actually responded most of them don't. Keep trying and fingers crossed.

D

I am also thinking if I should talk to one of my potential professors again for further feedback on my PhD proposal. He gave me some comments on my proposal before even though my application has been rejected. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Quote From DrCorinne:
I wouldn't be discouraged at all. Nowadays postgraduate students are always registered as MPhils, and then they usually have the option to upgrade to PhD status after the first year review of research progress.

I think that this is the way Universities use to prevent students dropping their PhDs half way through.

Also, I know a few top rank academics in my field who got an MPhil before they embarked on a PhD.

Some are registered straight away as PhD (I was), some as M.Phil., M.Res. or or Masters by research before upgrade after 1st year or mid-term review. It depends upon the institution and the supervisor which approach is used.

I suspect this approach may also be to do with how the University is perceived on it's results. It looks better for the Uni. upgrading capable students or projects producing results better than forseen from M.Phil to Ph.D. rather than downgrading Ph.D. students to M.Phil. if they are struggling or the project has not produced the expected results. Call me cynical if you like. :-)

If the OP has a good M.A. backed up by at least a 2(i), then logically this should allow direct registration to Ph.D. as the candidate is already proven at Masters level and an M.Phil. may not really add anything to the prospective candidate's CV if the original Masters already has a significant research component.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

C

Did the professor feel that your Masters didn't have enough research in it? Just wondering because of the comment about getting substantial research experience from an MPhil. If you've already done a Masters with a research component then yes, the MPhil would feel like overlap. I can understand why you're upset, although also bear in mind that the professor has told you he/she thinks you're capable but just wants you to develop your experience a bit first, for whatever reason.

I'd be surprised if you need to do a lot to overhaul your proposal for this. I know all departments are different, but my experience is that there is a huge amount of room for any proposal to be redeveloped once you start anyway, as it needs to be informed by a literature review, which you haven't had time to do at this stage. Of course, some projects are set out by the department right from the start so the student has little chance to change them, but if you're allowed to set your own proposal then you get to develop and re-focus it anyway.

H

Ask whether there would be the opportunity for the MPhil to be extended into a PhD if your progress was satisfactory (rather than having to start over). If so then your situation would not differ markedly from students at unis where one is required to 'upgrade' after a year or so.

Is the availability of funding influencing your potential supervisor's advice (e.g. is it just that there isn't money for a full PhD?)

D

HazyJane, availability of funding may be one of the factors. I think there may be other factors that I am unsure of. I will ask the Professor about that when I meet her in person.

Mackem_Beefy & Chcikpea, I completed one research methodology course and a research thesis in my MA program. I got As for these two courses. Do you think I have got enough research experience from the program?