Skype Phd Interview in UK

K

Hi everybody !
i was invited to a Skype PhD interview one week from now.... in one of the British university !
the position sounds really interesting to me and i am totally willing to take it ...i am so stressed and nervous and do know how can i present myself best !
i guess the reason i was asked for the interview is that my Master thesis title is somehow relevant to the advertised position

anybody have similar experience in UK ?
what are the possible questions ?
how long the interview may takes
considering an engineering and technical position ...how many applicant might be shortlisted ?

S

Skype PhD interviews are (I understand) becoming more common at UK universities, even for students based in the UK. I had a few, whilst looking for PhD opportunities (even at universities only 1 or 2 hours away). If my experiences are anything to go by, I would say relax.

I imagine that the running of the interview will very much depend on whether or not you've already been discussing research interests with a potential supervisor. I am not sure if this is the case in your situation, as you mention the position was advertised. However, I imagine the running order will possibly include:

- Background information. The interviewers won't want your entire life story, but they will want to understand your drive, motivation, and interests. Sure, it's an opportunity for you to begin to sell yourself and provide context on why you're the best candidate for them to accept; however, you may also find (I certainly did) that this is a great ice-breaker, and helps settle your nerves.

- The research itself. The interviewers may or may not ask you what work you've already conducted in the field, what recent publications you're familiar with, and how you potentially could see the work developing. It is possible that they may ask you to review a few recent articles ahead of the interview itself; however, it is always a good idea to read up on what the interviewers have been doing (one or two recent articles) as this will allow you to play an equal role in the interview. I wouldn't be surprised if your interviewers were also a little flattered by the fact you've gone and taken the time to study their work.

- They could, potentially, ask about your experience of life in the UK (if any) and how you feel about making the transition to living in the UK. This will not be to catch you out: it is important that you are helped settle in to your work as quickly and as smoothly as possible. Remember: British universities are, in general, quite cosmopolitan - so there's usually a broad mix of people from all corners of the globe.

In terms of how long the interview will take, that's a difficult question to answer. I had one Skype interview that lasted 20 minutes, and one that lasted three and a half hours (we ended up talking about video games...). I think setting aside 40 minutes to an hour is probably closer to the average, though.

Very best of luck with the interview. Let us know how it goes :)
Semp

K

Thaks Semp for nice comments ...interview coming next Friday!

the position was an advertised position ...and i have not discussed about the details of research with supervisor
I have done my master in an english language program in Sweden and in an international atmosphere...therefore there is no problem with adaptability in new situation ...i can adopt immediately
but i have no living experience in UK (i can tell them alot about Scandinavia and cold long and dark winters up here :D

Quote From kevin33:
i can tell them alot about Scandinavia and cold long and dark winters up here :D

You'll be used to our new government then.