Waiting out PhD interview outcome

S

I had a PhD interview a couple of Wednesdays ago which I thought went pretty well. I was told that my answers to some of the technical questions put me ahead of the other candidate. There was only me and one other person being interviewed for the position, so I'm feeling I might have a decent chance of getting it. I also know the PhD supervisor for the project from my previous work and he told me that he really wanted an application from me. He wasn't in the interview, but I got to chat with him later on.

I've been told that I would need to wait a week or so because one of the people that decides between me and this other person is away but I keep obsessing and picking apart the interview. How can I just keep it out of mind instead of getting impatient and constantly staring at my phone?!

W

You probably can't because you want it so much, other than turning off your phone for a few days! Good luck and I hope you get told soon :-)

C

You're applying to do a PhD for a reason: you have a real desire to answer a key question in your chosen research area. I'm afraid you have no chance of forgetting about it!

Is sending an e-mail to whoever coordinates admissions a possibility? Following things up in that way is never a bad thing.

S

Thanks for the replies! I emailed asking about the outcome and I was told that they were still in the process of deciding but will let me know as soon as they can. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer!

F

Good luck!

J

Good luck!

S

Hi, just an update - I didn't get offered the PhD because I have a 2:2 in my undergraduate masters degree and the other candidate has an MSc. I wonder why they bother interviewing candidates if it's all about qualifications. I was told that I did better in the interview than the other person as well. :(

W

Sorry to hear that. Not usre I understand what an undergraduate masters is? Do you mean BA/Bsc? or the masters degree after your first degree? In either case your professor probably encouraged you as candidate in all good will. Unfortunately if the entry requirements state a certain grade it can be difficult to go against the regulations no matter how well you did at interview if the other candidate was better on paper (essentially ticking all the boxes). If you have a 2:2 and no MA, maybe you should look at doing the MA, although it can be very difficult (there have been lots of posts about this subject) to get a PhD place with a 2:2 despite good MA grades as the MA is not viewed as a 'substansive' qualification (the reason why someone with a first can get a PhD place at some instituties without having done an MA/Msc/Mres at all).

S

Hey wowzers, I have an integrated masters - which is an MPhys. I was advised to do an MPhil or an MSc. Really wish I hadn't been called into interview as I really thought it would be a level playing field between me and the other candidate.