What is the meaning of "good 2:1"

I

Hi, in one Phd. application they write in the requirements "good 2:1". Can you tell me in numbers what percentage this means? In my previous school, the only grading schema they have is "Distinction", "Merit", and "Pass". There is nothing I found in their website about 2:1 or anything like that.

In my university, "Distinction", "Merit", and "Pass" are the three grades you can get for an Masters degree.

A 2:1 would refer to an undergraduate degree. Again, in my university, it went like this:

1st (equivalent to a mark of 70% or above)
2:1 (between 60% and 69%)
2:2 (50%-59%)
3rd (40%-49%)

Under that was a fail. So by that system, a good 2:1 would be in the upper range of 60-69%.

H

Yes, as Acarpous says, it refers to undergraduate (Bachelors) qualifications. So you will need to translate your grades into the UK equivalent. I would interpret 'Good 2.1' to mean "65% or higher". Essentially they are trying to rule out people who got a 2.1 but were close to the 2.2. boarder.

C

I'm not english, so I was just wondering: where this final grade comes from? this is a sort of weighted average grade or what?

Because many unis ask to an italian student at least a 104 out of 110... which is EXTREMELY high, way beyond this 60-69%!

Just to be clear, 104 means you have a wighted average of 27 out of 30...this means 90% (with proportions) !

H

A "good 2:1" in the UK comes from your grades in 3rd and 4th year of your Undergraduate degree based on my experience.

L

...or second and third year, as many undergraduate degrees are three years. This is the exception at Oxbridge, where all years of the undergraduate degree contributes towards the final 'grade'.

T

You can't compare UK and Italian grades because 90% in Italy isn't the same as a 90% in the UK (common in one and probably impossible in the other).