How to gain experience for a PhD in environmental sciences when you're outside academia (UK) ?

M

Hi guys!
So, here's the situation - I really want to pursue a research career focused on conservation (wildlife conservation, habitat fragmentation impacts, habitat use, etc.) I moved to the UK from Portugal and did my MSc degree in Biodiversity Conservation.
Ever since (3 years), I've been working as a seasonal ecologist, which gives me great fieldwork experience.
But I really wanted to obtain some research experience that will help me be accepted in a PhD. I have no idea where to turn for this experience as most job opportunities within conservation NGO's focus on communication and volunteering coordinators.

Is contacting teachers for research assistant positions something you advise? I feel like these positions are not advertised and given straight to current students.

Thank you!

For context: Currently just applied and got an interview for a funded PhD project! But I was really nervous on the interview, it didn't went amazing. But motivated me that I have already some important experience, since I was selected for the interview - but now I'm eager to engage in research processes if I don't get in this one, and will keep applying for more projects.