PhD possibilities

T

Hi everyone. I am from Italy and I gratuated in Medicine this week. I am interested in psychiatry and neuroscience. I'm considering the idea of a PhD in UK or Germany but I'm having trouble orienting myself. In my country, University doesn't deal with post-graduated mobility and I am forced to look for on my own. I hope someone could possibly answer and clarify some questions that are especially upsetting me:
- What is the best country between UK and Germany? Though I speak both languages, I'd prefer UK. Is there a real chance to find a PhD from Italy?
- I must be indipendent and earn my living. I think I realized that PhD students in UK receive no salary but they should get funding. Is it an unstable condition? Consider that I should sent my application from Italy and earn my living. Do you know any EU funding projects? I don't know anything about Germany... any differences?
Any other advices will be very well-accepted, thanks.

T

I've got an Italian student in my lab in the UK. He's really good. I think you'll be fine as long are you are proficient in English.

As an EU student you can qualify for a stipend if the PhD advert says you can. My Italian friend gets the same as me: 14,000 pounds a year.

I have no knowledge of Germany.

S

Hi Teresa,

Similar to TreeofLife, I studied in a school (UK) with an Italian post-doc, who had recently gained his PhD within the school. He was extremely smart, hard-working, personable and helpful. He's now in his second post-doc position in the north of England.

Re point 1, I couldn't comment on UK v Germany. Depending on how strong your preference for the UK is, you could look at both countries or just the UK and see which projects you like best.

Re point 2, £14000 (16948 Euros, at today's exchange rates) - as TreeofLife said - is about the going rate for funded students per year. And it is a stipend, so not taxable. And guaranteed, but normally just for three years. It's generally adequate, but bear in mind the cost of living over here is hugely variable. London and the South-East of England are generally very expensive, whereas other parts of the UK are much more reasonable, so do your research (or ask on here!). :)

As for getting projects, most funded projects are for EU students or worldwide students - there seem to be very few just for UK citizens. On this very site (i.e. www.findaphd.com) projects are listed with the availability and nature of funding clearly indicated. And I found my project on the site, so it does work.

I guess the only other imponderable is the suitability of your own qualification. But if you've got a good degree from an accredited Italian institution, I doubt you'd have a problem: I have encountered lots of non-British European postgraduate students (plus from further afield) studying here.

I wish you lots of luck!

L

Hi Teresa,

During my MA, I worked in a faculty with a number of international PhD students, some were funded, and received a stipend. To account for higher living costs in London, the stipend is higher than other parts of the country, 2014-15 set at £15,863 per annum.

Good luck with you search and applications!
Lizzie

T

Thanks to everyone, I exactly needed an enlightment on those sort of things. I'll go on with my reasearch with some more certainty!
Teresa