A question regarding the AHRC funding

F

Dear all,

I'm preparing to apply for a PhD programme next year. I was told by the departments of the two universities in the UK that the main source of funding is the AHRC.

As you know, a student must not submit the application directly to the AHRC. Instead, he/she must submit through the department to which they apply. The department will make a shortlist, choosing some of the best-rated candidates.

In both of my applications, I intend to make clear that I want to be chosen for the AHRC funding.

My question is: What happens if I'm lucky enough to be chosen by both departments, which will then send my application to the AHRC? Since my research proposals at the two schools will be essentially the same, how does the AHRC see my application?

My sincere thanks,

N

If the AHRC receives more than one funding nomination on your behalf (e.g. from 2 different universities), they reserve the right to exclude you from the competition, I think. Technically you are only supposed to apply for AHRC funding at one institution, but I believe quite a few institutions are tacitly ignoring this.

The best way to proceed, if you insist on applying for funding at 2 institutions, is to wait for the outcomes of your applications (normally they will interview you before nominating you), then, if one is successful, inform the other institution that you are withdrawing from their competition... if that makes sense. Basically, make sure that you don't have 2 different institutions submitting you to the AHRC at once, or you're in trouble!