Advice please: PhD by Publication through a Knowledge Transfer Partnership

J

Hi everyone!

A request for some advice please. In the final recruitment rounds for a KTP in a research area I love in building physics (can't say any more than this), but I am hugely conflicted as I really wanted my next career step to be getting a PhD full-time through a studentship.

To resolve this conflict, I want to go with the KTP but do a PhD by Publication alongside this, but while there are lots of people who've done PhDs who I can explore experiences with, I'm yet to come across anyone who's done a PhD by Publication who can offer advice.

The clear pros are that:
- I would get a PhD much sooner (30-month KTP project with a short writing up period after);
- way more cost effective as a salaried role provides more income than a studentship;
- still in control of the research due to the definition of KTP Associate roles;
- get to progress my publishing agenda

I can't really see any cons, unless PhDs by Publication are in lower regard (are they?). Obviously I am not able to define the project (but the KTP project is perfect for my research interests and studentships are typically defined anyway) nor devote my full time to the PhD (and I predict a small extra workload).

Main concerns are the risks: that is slippage on getting published which would delay getting the PhD plus the writing up period (I think six months post-KTP, is this realistic?). Also have questions around how many publications people typically contribute: I would envisage 6 distinct publications being included, plus some content from previous publications.

Very grateful for any responses!