Am I eligible for a full-funding PhD in Europe?


Hello, I've just finished my MSc course in Finance and Investment in UK and expect to get a Merit degree. I also got a Bachelor Degree in my home country in International Business. Am I able to get a full-funding PhD on Economics or relevant fields in Europe? Is that a problem cause I'm non-EU student?
Could somebody give me any tips to successfully get a full-funded PhD? What should I do for a start?
Thank you very much.


I think you would only be eligible for a fees studentship from the Research Councils. But, maybe the uni has something? A lot of the unis have funding for non-EU students, but you might have to be a certain nationality for that. E.g. my uni has a special scholarship for people who are coming from the Commonwealth. Ask at the uni.



For fee purposes, students are divided into groups at UK universities: Home/EU Student, and International/Overseas Student. From what you've said, you fall into the latter category.

Up until this year, full-time Home/EU student fees were approximately (depending on your degree, and whether it is lab-based or not) paying £3300-3500 per year in fees. International/Overseas Students, on the other hand, pay anywhere between £10,000-13,000 per year in annual fees (this does not include accomodation, examination fees, books, etc.)

For Home/EU Students, the Research Councils (funded by the government from tax payers) are a primary source of funding for PhD programmes. In addition to this, there are some private sector funding opportunities, and some universities also offer their own scholarships in addition to the Research Council funding. You cannot apply, as a non-EU student, to the Research Councils directly for funding your PhD. However, some departments/universities receive block-grants from the council and then distribute them where needed (for conferences, workshops, PhD funding, reserach funding, etc.). On rare occassions, a department or academic in receipt of such funds may offer them to PhD applicants irrespective of their nationality. However, for the most part they specify that the applicant should be Home/EU Student. The best place to look is at university websites. In your case, this would be the department of economics, where they give information about PhD's in economics - there is usually a link to Scholarship pages which are aimed at letting applicants know if the university can offer any funding to help PhD students. Some of these scholarships only pasy the difference between Home/EU fees and International fees (about £6000-7000 per year), so you'd have to pay the remainder yourself. There are other scholarships that make up this difference. So you may have to apply for 2-3 different scholarships (one paying the difference between Home/EU and International fees, another paying something towards cost of living/a stipend, etc.) But all this information will be offered at the department's website, in the section discussing the particular PhD programme you're interested in. You can also contact the university's Registry or Scholarship office directly and then can point you to a list of scholarships they offer to International students.

When searching for funding, just make sure you read the criteria, unless speacify that only Home/EU students can apply, then they probably accept international applicants too.

Finally, there are some website that can help you find universities/departments that do offer funding to International students. See links below:


======= Date Modified 20 Oct 2010 03:44:00 =======
Thank you guys very much for your kindly answers. Specially Baltar with very detailed information.
I also want to ask for your advice about the application preparation. I am actually writing a detailed research proposal to develop the topic that I study for my Master dissertation. However I am quite confused that if it would be helpful to provide a SPECIFIC proposal or not. Since I am afraid that it may narrow down my opportunity to get the fund if the professors think I am stick with that topic. They may refuse me with the reason that there is no one in the office interested in my topic.
So should I keep on writing the research proposal or should I come up with something more general, say a SOP?
I'm looking forward to your advice:)
Thanks guys:D