average BSc, excellent MSc...funding chances? please respond :)

H

Hi
My names Holly, and I was just hoping you guys could offer me some advise regarding funding.

I want to do a PhD and have a rough idea of the research question I want to address, but broadly speaking I want to do a PhD in evolutionary anthropology/ evolutionary psychology. I have identified a couple of supervisors who I would like to work with, however due to the very specific area I am interested in and the lack of funding for such an area, there is only 1/2 universities where such a project would be eligible for funding.

ANYWAY, I wanted to ask, what do you think my chances are of securing funding (ESRC or university scholarship) ? I have a BSc in psychology (2.1) and MSc in evolution and human behaviour (distinction). I know competition is fierce for this funding, and I know my 2.1 at undergrad lets me down. However, I did considerably better in my 3rd year of study than my second, gaining a 1st for my research project and a few other firsts in some modules and high 2.1s in others. I averaged 79% for my masters degree, gaining 77% in my research project. I know I will get excellent references from my referees, and I am fairly confident in my ability to write a good research proposal. but will this 2.1 stop me?

also, how do I go about approaching a potential supervisor? do I need a final draft of a research proposal, just a general research question, or somewhere in between? Do I have enough time to write a proposal, get in touch with a supervisor, and meet the application funding deadline this year? am I too late to contact a supervisor?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

R

Hi Holly, it's very hard to judge how good someone's chances are, I know you are looking for reassurance, but I would advise you to just go for it!

Search for PhDs here: http://www.findaphd.com/search/PhD.aspx?Keywords=evolutionary+psychology

Someone else here might have a better idea about your chances for funding, funding deadlines etc. Good luck!

K

Hey there!

It is really competitive to get funding, but with a 2.1 and a distinction you should have a good shot. Maybe including a transcript with your application to show your high marks in third year would help? I really don't think it will hold you back though- most people I knew when I was doing my PhD (psychology) had a 2.1 and a good MSc, and they had obtained funding (some of them from ESRC). Of course, you will be competing with people who have a first and a distinction, but excellent references and a strong project proposal will make a difference too.

Are you planning to write your own proposal from scratch and find someone to supervise it?

Best, KB

H

Hi Keenbean, thanks for your reply :)

I was planning to write one from scratch and send it to some supervisors I had in mind, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about it...would you be able to offer me some advise? I was thinking about approaching a supervisor with just a rough idea of what I want to research, not an acutal proposal, but I am unsure on weather I would be taken seriously without a proper proposal...what do you think? what was your experience of approaching a supervisor? Also, I am considering taking a year out to try and get some more research experience and hopefully get my masters project published...but do you think if I ended up being unsuccessful in these endeavours, taking a year out would harm my chances?

Thanks for your help

Holly

S

Hi Holly,

I can't give any advice regarding a proposal as I didn't do one myself (project was already decided upon for me!). However, I can comment on your grades and chances of success.

Like you, I got a 2:1 at undergrad and a distinction at Masters (in a different field to you though - I was in Biochemistry). The work I did for my Masters dissertation was published, and I then worked for a year as a research assistant (in a totally different field again - this was for a veterinary department!) After that, I decided I wanted to do a PhD, so applied for, and got, a place fully-funded by the BBSRC.

If you want to do a PhD straight away, then I would say go for it and apply as soon as you like. I really don't think your results will hold you back, particularly if backed up by good references (that made it sound like I think a 2:1 is a poor result - obviously I don't think that but I hope you know what I mean!). Having said that, for me personally, I feel that my extra work experience and publication gave me that extra edge over the other candidates that I wouldn't have had if I had applied straight after my Masters. I also feel that I wouldn't hae been confident enough to go from masters to PhD with no break, so maybe it was just that I had changed personally and had grown in confidence so came across better at interview.

If I were you, I would apply now, and then if unsuccessful I would look at working for a year and then trying again. Either way, I don't think you will harm your chances of getting a funded place. Good luck!!

M

Hello everyone, well i have just a masters programme in Human Resource Management with a pass mark , i do not know if there is possiblity for a PHD and its funding , moreso, considering going for a another masters degree in marketing because of grade or going for M.Phil , please your advice is most appreciated .Thank.Richard